This article shows you everything you need to know about the Downloader app. In this tutorial, I start off by showing you how to install Downloader for Firestick.
Table of Contents
How to Install Downloader on Firestick
Follow the quick-and-easy steps below to install the Downloader app on your Amazon Firestick or Fire TV.
- Press the Home button on the Fire TV remote
- Then press the Search icon (in the top left corner) and search for “downloader”
- In the search results, select the Downloader icon (under “Apps”)
- Then press “Get” (or the button may instead say “Download”)
- Now press “Open” after Downloader is finished installing
- Then use the Downloader app by following the steps in the section below labeled “How do I use the Downloader app?”
Where to Get Downloader App
Use the steps at the top of this page to install Downloader app.
Or get it from the Amazon (“Firestick”) app store, or you can install it directly on the FireTV from Apps / Categories / Utility.
Input Devices to Control Downloader App
While it will certainly work with the FireTV remote, it is a lot easier to use with a wireless keyboard and mouse.
- If you have a Firestick, then you’ll need a Bluetooth mouse / keyboard, since Firestick has no USB ports to plug a wireless 2.4GHz USB receiver into.
- TIP: Using a Bluetooth mouse with Firestick also gives you the added benefit of being able to use “touchscreen-only” apps such as ShowBox!
Alternately you can make the FireTV Remote work more like a mouse. See this YouTube video on the subject (one of several such videos, I might add). Or see our install CetusPlay tutorial and use CetusPlay as a virtual mouse for your Firestick / Fire TV.
How Do I Use the Downloader App?
Using Downloader is easy; once it’s installed, launch the Downloader app. Then..
- Insert the URL of the webpage you want to use (HINT: enter https://split.to/apktime for APKTime or https://split.to/aptoide for Aptoide).
- Press “Go“
- Then scroll down to the apk download link, click on it, and Downloader will handle it.
- Answer the various questions, and it will be installed.
- (Optional and Recommended) You can then delete the APK file from your FireTV or Stick to free up Firestick disk space.
TIP: If you want to manage files and folders on your Firestick, then use ES File Explorer.
To get APKTime on Firestick (my #1 favorite Firestick app store), just enter the address https://split.to/apktime
Or to install my second-favorite app store for Firestick, just enter https://split.to/aptoide for Aptoide.
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
How to Use the Built-In Web Browser
To use the Downloader app’s built-in browser:
- Navigate to the menu area of Downloader (on the left side of the app)
- Select “Browser”
- Enter the address of the site you want to browse
- Now use the Fire TV remote to navigate around and click links / buttons in the site you chose to visit
See the list of apps below that the Downloader handles really well.
Apps That Downloader Handles Really Well
This list of “apps that Downloader can install / handle” is very far from complete; basically a webpage has an apk download link on it, Downloader may be able to handle it.
- APKTime : https://split.to/apktime
- Aptoide : https://split.to/aptoide
- Kodi Link1 or Link2
- ShowBox (requires Bluetooth mouse)
Terrarium TV(no longer works – see alternatives below)
Terrarium TV Notes (+ Alternatives, since Terrarium no longer works!)
The Terrarium TV app for Firestick no longer works, so I recommend you install APKTime so you can install some great Terrarium TV alternatives.
Note that Terrarium TV requires one of two media players; MX Player or VLC for Android (below).
- MX Player can be found here
- VLC Audio Player for Android can be found on Amazon or on the FireTV at Apps / Categories / Photo and Video
You can choose between either in the Settings menu.
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to Starbucks WiFi. Secure your data.
Apps Fully-Tested on Firestick and Fire TV
The apps in the list above (Kodi, Mobdro, ShowBox, Cinema HD) have been fully tested on Firestick and Fire TV. Although Show Box requires that you install CetusPlay to use as a virtual mouse, all the other apps in the list above work great.
What is Downloader?
Downloader is one of many apps that allow you to sideload Android executables (apks) onto your FireTV or FireTV Stick.
What makes this a bit different from utilities that require you to use a code (such as FireDL) or CetusPlay (which has a physical list of apps from which to choose) is that Downloader allows you to download an apk directly from a website.
As long as the website has been updated, it will install the most up to date version of the apk. This is something that neither FireDL nor CetusPlay can guarantee.
Finally it also has the ability to delete the APK once you have finished installing, which is important for storage starved FireSticks.