YouTube is no stranger to any of us. After all, they’ve been the biggest streaming network in the world for years now. But slightly less well-known is its sibling network YouTube TV on Firestick and Roku, a cable-free network that brings all your favorite TV shows and movies to your preferred streaming devices.
With over 80 fantastic channels, such as ABC, CNN, ESPN, FX, Discovery, and NBC, YouTube TV keeps you and the whole family fully plugged in to endless streaming content; anything from entertainment to education, family dramas, news, sports, cartoons, and a host of other programs.
Table of Contents
- 1 YouTube TV on Firestick Features
- 2 How to Install YouTube TV on Firestick
- 3 Wrap Up
YouTube TV on Firestick Features
From the outside, YouTube TV on Firestick may look like any of the dozens of other streaming services out there, but it has a nice array of features that do a lot to set it apart from the pack. Here are a few we really liked:
- Unlimited Cloud DVR
It is very frustrating to be unable to store your favorite shows on streaming platforms, especially shows you want to come back to. YouTube TV offers you the rare experience of allowing you to record hours of content whenever desire and to save shows or movies for up to 9 months.
This DVR feature was recently updated to allow features like pause, play, fast forward, and so on all recorded shows. This is especially great for live TV events that you want to come back to! Sports, news, or anything else you want!
- Multiple Users
Like most streaming services, YouTube TV allows its customers the option of creating multiple users accounts for streaming simultaneously on different screens. With a You-Tube TV subscription, you will have the chance to link 6 other Google accounts to one main profile.
Although it only allows for three accounts to stream at once, everyone can still have their own account and experience on the family plan, which is a better deal than many other streaming services.
- Popular Shows
It should come as no surprise to you that YouTube TV on Firestick has some of the best shows and films you can find on any streaming platform. What’s more, YouTube TV has the option on some channel subscriptions that allows you to watch shows immediately after they air. This is especially helpful for those who like to catch up on older episodes and record them with YouTube TV on Firestick’s DVR function.
- Voice Control
To enjoy use this feature, you will need a Google Home speaker device like the Nest Mini and use a Chrome Cast device to watch YouTube TV. You can use this voice feature to control functions like selecting a TV channel to watch live, starting a new show, recording a show, or using playback functions.
This one might not be for YouTube TV on Firestick users, but Android users can watch channels on YouTube TV in a minimized version on their Android device. Two football games on that you want to watch, and you’re tired of switching back and forth between channels? This feature is for you! Unfortunately, iPhone users would have to wait until iOS14 to get this feature.
Other features are:
- Mark as watched
- Dark mode
- Offline viewing
How to Install YouTube TV on Firestick
All these amazing features make YouTube TV on Firestick or Roku seem like a pretty exciting proposition. So how do you go about checking it out? To install the YouTube TV on Firestick, there are steps that you need to follow:
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
Below, there are three methods of installation. Choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Method 1: Install the official YouTube TV for Firestick app through the Amazon Store
- Method 2: Install a third-party app for YouTube TV on Firestick
- Method 3: Access YouTube TV through a Firestick browser
Method 1 (Basic): Install YouTube TV on Firestick Through the Amazon App Store
There’s good news for those of you who live in the US. Americans can download and install YouTube TV on Firestick straight from the Amazon app store. People living in other countries will need to download a VPN or make use of method 2, so skip ahead if you fall into that category.
There are the steps below:
- From the Firestick Home screen, click and open the Search option. You will find the search lens at the top-left corner of the Home screen
- In the search display box, type in YouTube TV and click on the Search button to execute the command. Click on YouTube TV when it shows in the displayed search results
- Select and click on Get if this is the first time you are downloading YouTube TV on your Firestick. Otherwise, click on the Download option (either one will work essentially the same)
- If you do it right, you should see a ‘Downloading’ animation and message. Wait until the download completes before doing anything else
- After the download, Click Open and run the app
- Sign in with your YouTube account if you have one, or click Try it Free if you want to do a trial run to check out the benefits of YouTube TV on Firestick
Method 2: Install a 3rd-party App for YouTube TV on Firestick (Outside the US)
Unfortunately, like many sites, YouTube TV restricts its content to viewers only in specific countries. Meaning, where you’re streaming from decides how much content you can get, or whether you can even use the service at all.
Luckily, though, there are ways around this. In the steps below, we laid out everything you need to do to install YouTube TV on Firestick from outside the US. It’s worth noting that you might be able to skip this complicated process by installing a VPN (thus tricking YouTube into thinking that you’re browsing from the US). It’s also possible, even if you download the app, that YouTube can restrict your viewing unless you’re using the VPN, so we highly recommend that you get one. You will also need a US-issued Credit/Debit card or a PayPal account with a US profile.
Here’s how to install YouTube TV on Firestick from outside the US, without a VPN:
- Go to your Firestick’s settings from the Home screen. This option is on the menu bar at the top of the Home screen
- Then, you should select and open the option My Fire TV on the following screen
- Once you see this window, you should click on Developer Options.
- Then confirm the the Apps from Unknown Sources option is set to ON. You should turn it ON if it is OFF
- Once you click Turn ON, you will authorize your Firestick to allow to to download apps from third-party sources
- You should then proceed back to the home screen of your Firestick. Select the Search option in the top-left corner of the Home screen.
- Now, go ahead to type in “Downloader” in the search bar, and click the Downloader app when it shows in the search results. Then follow the onscreen instruction. This is one of the best apps you can use to download apps that are restricted in the official Amazon app store
- Open the Downloader app
- Click the Downloader app’s Home tab in the left-hand menu
- Click the textbox with the https:// on the right and enter the URL: tvcola.com/ytv
- Wait for the YouTube TV APK to download and install
- Once it has installed, click done and delete the APK file when prompted, since you now have access to the app and no longer need it
- Now exit the downloader app and go to your Home screen and select See All Apps. Here you will find the app. You can move the position of the YouTube TV anywhere you want on your Home screen for easy access
- Finally, click on the YouTube TV app to sign in to your account
How to Use a VPN with YouTube TV on Firestick
As we mentioned before, YouTube TV on Firestick is not supported in all regions of the world, but there is good news: you can hide your traffic or switch regions online with the use of a VPN, allowing you to access content that may be restricted where you live. And YouTube TV works well with most VPNs.
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to Starbucks WiFi. Secure your data.
Not many people know that VPNs are a great hack that allows you to get extra free content without ever having to jailbreak your Firestick or download 3rd party free streaming apps. You can get free, blocked content on paid streaming apps like Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and YouTube that is currently being kept from you!
Paid subscription streaming sites will block certain content depending on where you are. Downloading a VPN like IPVanish will allow you to trick streaming services into thinking that you’re streaming from different regions, thus unlocking region-blocked content! If you’re paying for a service, we think you should get everything that the service offers.
In fact, there are tons of great benefits of using a VPN that most people don’t know about. If this sounds like it would improve your streaming life (and it’s definitely improved ours), use our link to get our reader discount on the best, most reliable VPN available.
How to get IPVanish for YouTube TV on Firestick
- Using any device, search the IPVanish official website and create an account (use our link to get a discount for our readers)
- Now on your Firestick, go to the home screen
- Click and select on the search tab
- Type in IPVanish
- Select it from the search results
- Click on the IPVanish app icon
- Click on the Get button or the Download button
- Open the app and enter your credentials (username and password)
- Once logged in, select the country of your choice (the US or anywhere else), and use the best default for both city and server
- Click Connect
Method 3: Access YouTube TV Through a Firestick Browser
This method is much more direct:
Search and download an app called ‘Silk Browser’ from the official Amazon app store. See the steps listed in Method 1 for more details regarding how to go about this.
Log in to the website https://tv.youtube.com/ through the browser.
So, that’s it! Now you should know everything you need to enjoy the YouTube TV on Firestick no matter where you are in the world. Let us know what your favorite shows to watch on YouTube TV in the comments below. Thanks for reading!