XBMC is the predecessor to Kodi. You can still install XBMC on PC and the Original Xbox.
Fact: When the original Xbox came out, I got one and installed Xbox Media Center on it. At the time, Xbox Media Center allowed the Xbox to play your own video files, “game backups”, and several other things.
XBMC Still Exists for (Original) Xbox and PC!
You can still download and install Xbox Media Center on Xbox. In fact, some developers have made it possible for some Kodi addons to work on Xbox Media Center ! So, effectively, we have XBMC Addons (Xbox Media Center TV Addons, to be exact). So dig out that old Xbox Media Center and put Xbox Media Center on it (intructions, product links and download links below).
Kodi Security warning: Hide your location (Ashburn, VA) and IP address (22.214.171.124) now.
- There’s an installer for the Xbox called Addons4Xbox, which allow many Kodi plugins to work on Xbox Media Center right outta the box!
Evolution of Xbox Media Center into Kodi
Since the days of the original Xbox, Xbox Media Center has also branched off (“evolved”, if you will) into a full-featured media center.
Kodi: Xbox Media Center All Grown Up
Kodi is simply years of continued advancement on the wonderful Xbox Media Center platform. With the development and mass adoption of streaming video, Kodi has kept up with the industry and integrated streaming video support into its set of streaming capabilities.
Q: Can you tell the difference between the Xbox Media Center dashboard and the Kodi dashboard in the screenshots below?
Kodi vs. Xbox Media Center
What’s the difference between Kodi and Xbox Media Center ?
Most likely, you just want Kodi. Here’s the breakdown if you need help deciding if you need Kodi or Xbox Media Center :
- If you want an amazing video platform that is supported on most device types, go with Kodi.
- If you want the “old” Xbox Media Center platform like we used back in the early 2000’s, keep reading on how to download and install Xbox Media Center on Xbox.
How to Install XBMC on Xbox
Yes, you can still install Xbox Media Center on Xbox! I wish I still had my original Xbox with Xbox Media Center on it.
To install Xbox Media Center on Xbox, you just need three things:
- An original Xbox
- Your Xbox must be MODDED
- The XBMC software
- The Xbox Media Center software has actually been somewhat maintained since it split off into Kodi.
- The latest name of the Xbox Media Center software goes by the name XBMC4Xbox. Download it below.
Here’s how to get those 3 things:
1. Get an Original Xbox or a Modded Xbox
Amazon sells [easyazon_link identifier=”B001ELWMHI” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]original Xbox[/easyazon_link]’s starting at about $43.
Pro Tip: Or get a [easyazon_link identifier=”B00WFGSJRS” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]pre-modded Xbox[/easyazon_link] for $90 from Amazon. If you use this option (highly recommended), you can skip that pesky Step 2 (below) and go directly to Step 3 below.
2. Mod your Xbox
This guide will show you how to mod your Xbox.
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
3. Download Xbox Media Center for Xbox (“XBMC4Xbox”)
If you want to download Xbox Media Center , you might spend some time looking because Microsoft doesn’t like it.
OR, you could click the link below to Download XMBC for Xbox:
Xbox Media Center Download
XBMC 4 Xbox Official Site & Wiki Page
Install XBMC on Xbox
To install Xbox Media Center on Xbox, follow the XBMC4Xbox download instructions, which essentially say to:
Install Xbox Media Center on PC
If you’re looking to install Xbox Media Center on PC, it’s pretty easy! You basically launch the installer, let it finish, and then launch Xbox Media Center .
Xbox Video Capabilities
– DVD and DVD HD
– Xvid & DiVX in H264 VFW (Max Resolution of 960 x 400) and Sound rendered in AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 Format
– Some 720p HD films in AVI
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to Starbucks WiFi. Secure your data.
Xbox Media Center Setups
- Back in the day, I had an Original Xbox console that was modded. It had an extra-large hard drive for storing games and music, and I had the “latest” dashboard at the time, which was smooth to use and operate.
- Using the standard Xbox gaming controller, I was able to play a plethora of ROMs like N64 and SNES.
Xbox Media Center History
Xbox Media Center was originally intended for the Xbox, and was short for XBox Media Center. After XBMC had been on Xbox for awhile, developers ported Xbox Media Center to the PC. This was a huge step in the advancement / development / “evolution” of Xbox Media Centre.