Imagine this, you’re watching a gripping show on your Firestick, only for it to suddenly start buffering, stuttering, or just running at a snail’s pace. This leaves you wondering why is my Firestick so slow. It’s a frustrating experience that can make even the most patient person want to pull their hair out.
Well, fear not because you’re not alone. Many Firestick users have experienced this same issue, and it’s not always clear what’s causing it.
In this article, we’ll dive into some common reasons why your Firestick might be running slow and provide tips to help you get back to streaming smoothly in no time.
Why is my Firestick So Slow – Possible Causes
While there can be several reasons why your Firestick is slow, below are the most common ones.
WARNING FIRESTICK USERS
YOUR INFORMATION IS EXPOSED
Your location is: Ashburn VA
Your current IP address is: 2001:4455:2f7:b700:f880:7bad:b46b:1768
You can stream and download anonymously through your PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone through IP Vanish.
HIDE ME NOW
Internet connection issues
A full HD video requires at least 5 Mbps of internet speed. If you’re getting anything below this threshold, you may experience slow streaming on Firestick. Here are the common internet connection issues:
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
- Poor Wifi – If your internet router is too far away, or thick walls are separating your Firestick, it can weaken your internet connection.
- ISP Throttling – In some instances, your internet service provider can also slow down your internet connection if they detect any policy violation. This is known as ISP throttling.
- Too many devices – If too many devices are connected to the same Wifi network or downloading something, they can take a big chunk of the bandwidth. Thus leading to a slow Firestick.
- Outdated Apps – If you’re using an outdated app to stream content on Firestick, you will likely experience a lag.
- Congested servers – Not all services can handle higher traffic. So, if your streaming source is getting higher than usual traffic, it can slow down the streaming leading to Firestick apps not working or a similar issue.
- Service down – This is common with most free IPTV services on the market these days. They often go out of service every now and then. If that’s the case, you may experience an unresponsive Firestick.
Firestick Hardware or Software Issues
If your streaming service and internet are working fine, the issue might be with your Firestick device. Such as:
- Too many apps are running – Firestick isn’t exactly known as a computing powerhouse; it has limited power. If there are multiple apps running in the background, it can slow down the processing power. That means Firestick won’t load video for streaming even if you have a 100 Mbps internet connection.
- Firestick running out of storage space – Firestick is notoriously low on space. Most Firestick models come with only 8 GB of space. Of this total space, approximately 3 GB is taken up by the Operating system, which leaves only around 5 GB for you. This means if you install too many apps and your Firestick needs more space, this can lead to slow performance.
- Malware infection – Like too many apps eating up resources, malware can also slow down your Firestick by consuming precious processing power.
- Outdated Operating System – Firestick buffering and freezing are also very common if you haven’t updated your Firestick OS in a long time.
- Firestick Overheating – Overheating caused by a hardware or technical fault can also slow down Firestick. It can affect performance and cause buffering issues.
Let’s look now at how you can fix a slow Firestick.
How to Fix A Slow Firestick – Step-by-step Firestick Troubleshooting
As you see, your Firestick may keep freezing, buffering, or slowing down for several reasons mentioned above. Try the fixes one by one until your Firestick starts working normally again.
Fix Firestick Internet Connection Problems
1. Check your internet speed
You can use any online internet speed checker like Fast.com or SpeedTest.net to confirm this problem. In case your internet connection is 5mbps or less, you will likely experience some buffering issues while streaming HD, even without any problem. However, detecting a slow internet connection is the first step before you can increase your speed.
2. Check your Wifi signal strength
Here’s how to check your Wifi’s signal strength on Firestick:
- Go to Settings
- Select Network
- Select the Wifi network you’re on
- Check the network status by pressing the Play/Pause button
Bring the Firestick closer to the router if your signal strength isn’t good. Alternatively, you can use a Wifi signal booster or an ethernet cable to improve signal quality.
3. Bypass ISP Throttling
If you notice your Firestick slows down, particularly during the peak hours, 7 to 11 PM, you’re likely a victim of ISP throttling. Many ISPs intentionally restrict the speed during that time of the day to save up on their internet resources.
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to public WiFi. Secure your data.
To bypass any ISP throttling, we recommend using the IPVanish website. It’s one of the most reliable VPNs available today, with an extensive server network. With IPVanish, all your internet traffic is routed through a secure channel, meaning your ISP cannot eavesdrop on your online activities.
4. Disconnect unused devices from the router
Even when a device is connected and not browsing or streaming, it can clog up your router traffic. Therefore, check what other devices are connected to the router and then take them offline. If you’re unsure about other devices connected to your router, you can also do it from the router.
- Log into your router’s settings by typing 220.127.116.11 (You can find your router’s IP by typing ipconfig in cmd and then copying the numbers under the Default Gateway heading)
- Enter the login credentials (You can usually find these on the backside of your router)
- Go to Wireless
- Find the list of Connected devices.
- Remove any unauthorized devices and change your network security key to stay safe in the future.
Fix Firestick Streaming App Issues
1. Restart the App
If your Firestick keeps freezing, restarting the app can also fix the issues.Relaunching the app clears the cache and fixes any app-related issues. Simply close the app, wait a few moments, and then relaunch it.
2. Clear App Cache
Apps create and store temporary files on your Firestick. Using a particular app too much can lead to cache build-up over time. Therefore, clearing the streaming app’s cache can also help solve this problem. Here’s how to do just that:
- Go to settings
- Select Applications
- Go to Manage Installed Applications
- Select the App
- Press Confirm to clear the cache.
Note: If you use multiple apps for streaming, you may have to clear their cache individually.
3. Update your app
Usually, Firestick updates all apps on its own, provided you have the automatic updates turned ON. Go to settings > Applications > App Store to check whether it’s ON by default. Turn it ON if not. However, if you have a jailbroken Firestick and use a sideloaded app, you have to update the app manually. Remove the app, go to the app’s source website, and download the latest version.
For Firestick Issues
Most of the time, Firestick performance issues occur if it’s unable to process data properly. This can be a minor issue like too many apps running or a bigger, more complex issue like a hardware malfunction. Here’s how to troubleshoot these issues:
4. Reboot Firestick
Like any other electronic device, rebooting can also do the trick. Remove Firestick from the power source, wait ten seconds, and then plug it back in. This should power cycle the Firestick to its initial state and fix minor performance issues. In case you notice unusual overheating, keep it powered off for a while. It will fix any temporary overheating issues.
5. Stop Background processes
If there are multiple apps running in the background, they can clog your Firestick and slow it down. Follow the instructions below to stop unwanted apps:
- Go to Settings
- Find Applications
- Go to Manage installed applications
- Force stop or Uninstall the app you don’t use
6. Update Firestick Operating System
You must keep your Firestick OS up to date for smooth performance. Firestick firmware updates are released on a regular basis. Usually, Automatic Updates are turned ON by default, but you can also do so manually. Follow the navigation path below to update Firestick OS.
Settings > My Fire TV > About > Install Update
7. Factory Reset Firestick
This is the last option. If all else fails, factory resetting Firestick does the trick. However, be careful because doing so will erase all the data, apps, and settings. Back up your important data and note down all the important apps before you proceed with this step.
Here’s how you can factory reset Firestick:
- Go to Settings
- Go to My Firestick
- Select Reset to Factory Defaults
- Give your permission for a factory reset
What Causes My Firestick To Run Slow?
A slow Firestick can be caused by outdated firmware, too many apps, and internet connectivity issues.
How Can I Fix A Slow Firestick?
You can fix a slow Firestick by optimizing its settings, clearing the cache, and deleting unwanted apps. For full step-by-step troubleshooting, check out the article above.
Can Outdated Firmware Cause A Slow Firestick?
Yes, outdated firmware can cause a slow Firestick, so it’s essential to keep it up-to-date.
What Are Some Common Firestick Performance Issues?
Common Firestick performance issues include buffering, freezing, and slow navigation.
How Do I Optimize Firestick Settings For Better Performance?
You can optimize Firestick settings by disabling unused apps, turning off data monitoring, using a reliable VPN like IPvanish, and using a faster internet network.
Can Overheating Cause A Slow Firestick?
Yes, overheating can cause a slow Firestick, so make sure it’s adequately ventilated and kept in a cool place.
How Can I Improve My Firestick’s Internet Connectivity?
You can improve your Firestick’s internet connectivity by using an Ethernet cable, moving the router closer, or resetting the modem.
Will Deleting Unwanted Apps Help With Firestick’s Performance?
Yes, Deleting unwanted apps can free up space and improve Firestick performance.
How Do I Update The Firmware On My Firestick?
To update the firmware on your Firestick, go to Settings > My Fire TV > About > Check for Updates.
What Can I Do To Maintain A Fast Firestick?
To maintain a fast Firestick, clear the cache regularly, keep the firmware up-to-date, and avoid installing too many apps.
A slow Firestick can be a frustrating experience that can take the enjoyment out of streaming your favorite content.
However, with some troubleshooting and effort, you can fix the issue and get back to streaming smoothly. If you’ve tried everything and still can’t fix the problem, don’t hesitate to contact the Firestick customer care representative. They are there to help you and provide additional support if needed. You can get your Firestick up and running smoothly with their assistance.
So don’t let a slow Firestick ruin your streaming experience, take action and get back to enjoying your favorite content hassle-free!