VPNs provide a range of benefits to users. Geo-location restrictions cause a lot of discomfort and frustration to users. Perhaps they want to access a particular streaming service to watch a TV show or film but find it blocked or restricted in their country.
In such situations, a VPN comes in handy. VPNs encrypt your internet traffic and mask your IP address, enabling you to bypass geo-location restrictions. All you have to do is connect to a server from another country and then connect to the VPN. The VPN will assign you an IP address from that specific country, enabling you to access geo-restricted or censored content.
In this in-depth guide, we’ll explore the benefits of VPNs, how they can help you access geo-restricted content, and the factors to consider to choose the best VPN provider to help you quickly bypass geo-location censorship. So without any further ado, let’s begin.
Benefits of Using VPNs
VPNs can offer many benefits to users, which include:
WARNING FIRESTICK USERS
YOUR INFORMATION IS EXPOSED
Your location is: Ashburn VA
Your current IP address is: 2001:4455:2f7:b700:f880:7bad:b46b:1768
You can stream and download anonymously through your PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone through IP Vanish.
- VPNs enable users to enhance their Privacy and Security. With the rise of cyberattacks and cybercriminals looking to steal users’ sensitive and confidential data, users are now more concerned about their online safety than ever. With VPN Protocols and its other safety features, it can protect your information from getting into the wrong hands. It masks your IP address, making it difficult for any third party to track your online activities.
- In further sections, we will go into more detail, but VPNs help users bypass geo-location restrictions and access censored content. Streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Max aren’t available in most regions of the world, so a VPN can help you gain access to those streaming services. Similarly, many social media sites are banned in countries like China and the UAE. You can use a VPN to bypass censorship and gain access to those social media platforms.
- VPNs enable Secure Remote Access for businesses and organizations. It allows employees to use company resources from home or another location securely. It also keeps the company’s network secure and encrypted.
- VPNs also help you avoid throttling. Some ISPs slow down specific internet traffic to manage network congestion, such as torrenting or streaming. Since the VPN encrypts your internet traffic, ISPs cannot detect what data you’re sending or receiving, helping you avoid throttling.
- VPNs can help protect you against malicious websites, content, and other online threats. You can also save money and avail discounts. Some countries offer lower prices for the same service that costs higher in another country. When you connect to a server from a country that offers lower prices, you can save money.
How Does Geoblocking Work?
Geo-location-based blocking is the technology that blocks access to certain websites on content, depending on the user’s geographical location. It is implemented by websites, streaming platforms, and sometimes governments to control access to certain content or to comply with regional licensing or copyright legislation.
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
Geoblocking systems use your IP address to determine your approximate location. Geoblocking services also have databases that map IP addresses to specific regions. When you want to access a website, your device will send a request to the server hosting that website and content.
The server can check your IP address and determine your location before responding to the request. Depending on the analysis of your IP address, the server can implement geo-blocking rules to decide whether you should be granted access to the content.
Some users try to prevent geoblocking restrictions by modifying their DNS settings using a DNS server in another region. It can trick the website into believing the user is accessing it from another country.
Can I Bypass Geo-location Restrictions With A Free VPN?
You can use a free VPN to bypass geo-location restrictions, but it has drawbacks. Firstly, just because you’re using a free VPN doesn’t mean you have any privacy. Free VPN providers can sell your data to advertisers and third parties to earn revenue.
You can use a free VPN and connect to a server from another location; however, free VPNs have limited servers, and most of the time, they’re concentrated with so many users. They also have speed and bandwidth limitations, which results in slow and unreliable connections.
Streaming content or engaging in activities requiring high internet speed would become difficult.
Ultimately, a free VPN would disrupt the user experience. It’s because they often experience frequent downtime, server congestion, and frequent disconnections, which adds to the user’s frustration. Free VPNs are less secure and may put you at risk of security threats.
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to public WiFi. Secure your data.
How To Choose The Best VPN Service for Geo-Blocking
Here are some factors to consider when you’re deciding to choose a VPN provider to bypass geo-location restrictions:
When choosing a VPN to bypass geo-location restrictions, ensure it has an extensive list of servers. The more servers there are, the better. If you have the option of multiple servers, you can connect to different restricted and blocked content faster. To access geo-restricted content, connect to a server from your desired location.
You also need to ensure that it is a fast VPN that offers excellent speed. If the VPN provider provides good speed, you’ll experience less buffering and can watch all your favorite movies and TV shows in high-definition, offering an uninterrupted and enjoyable experience.
You can enjoy a fast connection, gain access to HD videos, and continue torrenting without having to experience any lagging.
The VPN provider you’re using should provide you with a user-friendly experience. It means it should be user-friendly. It should also be compatible with your device. A good VPN provider is compatible with all streaming platforms, including macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux.
How To Set Up A VPN To Bypass Geo-location Restrictions
Setting up a VPN to bypass geo-location restrictions involves the following steps:
- Choose a reliable VPN provider with good security, an extensive range of servers, and excellent speed.
- Download and install the VPN software on your device.
- Create an account with the VPN provider and log in using your credentials.
- Connect to a VPN server from your desired location to access content from that location.
- You should test your VPN connection. Visit the website that’s blocked or restricted in your country. If the VPN is working correctly, you will be able to access the content that’s banned in your country.
- Certain websites can still determine your location due to WebRTC or DNS leaks. To prevent this, visit your VPN provider’s website for configuration settings or browser extensions to avoid these leaks.
- When you’ve connected to the VPN, always check your VPN connection status and IP address to ensure that you’re anonymous and protected.
- Some streaming services have blocked the IP addresses of popular VPN providers. In such a situation, using a dedicated IP address they provide is a good idea. Dedicated IPs have a lesser chance of getting detected or blocked.
Using a VPN to access geo-restricted content has proved helpful for many people. People can now use VPNs to access streaming platforms such as HBO Max, Hulu, and Netflix. You can now sit in the comfort of your home and access a large volume of content simply by connecting to a VPN.
And while you’re using a VPN to access geo-restricted or censored content, go for a VPN with extensive servers, fast speed, and compatibility on many platforms to get the best experience.