Before talking about the best VPN for Firestick and how to install, we should at least know What is Firestick? Also, why do we Need a VPN for Firestick and What are its benefits?
Table of Contents
- 1 WHAT EXACTLY IS AMAZON FIRE STICK?
- 2 WHY WE NEED VPN FOR FIRESTICKS?
- 3 CHARACTERISTICS OF BEST VPN FOR FIRESTICKS:
- 4 BEST VPN FOR FIRESTICK AND Fire TV:
- 5 Are Free VPNs GOOD FOR FIRESTICK?
- 6 HOW TO INSTALL VPN for Firestick?
- 7 BONUS METHOD: Install a VPN on a router
WHAT EXACTLY IS AMAZON FIRE STICK?
It is a powerful online streaming device that can be connected to HD TV by HDMI port, turning it into a smart TV. Through it, a user can get access to thousands of movies, TV shows, apps, and games. Before the fire stick, there was Fire TV in 2014 which get updated to Firestick and Fire cube.
Firestick 2nd generation provides Alexa voice control technology that comes in 2016 so you can access it by just voice command and can enjoy a movie in English and Hindi languages.
WARNING FIRESTICK USERS
YOUR INFORMATION IS EXPOSED
Your location is: Ashburn VA
Your current IP address is: 2001:4455:2f7:b700:f880:7bad:b46b:1768
You can stream and download anonymously through your PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone through IPVanish VPN.
HIDE ME NOW
Fire TV is same as Firestick, but it has more movies and games space along with 4k streaming Quality while Firestick is a lite version, offering 1080p with a smaller number of channels and sports.
WHY WE NEED VPN FOR FIRESTICKS?
Firestick is no doubt the best streaming device, but there are some restrictions and limitation that are levied by Government OR ISP, such as..
- Online Surveillance means a third party and tracks down your streaming history e.g., Govt., Hackers, or ISP. So, it is a privacy threat.
- Internet Throttling that causes slow video streaming.
- Content Geo-Restriction prevents your access in certain areas.
VPN can provide security by encrypting the internet connection and use a private IP address which hides the activity, streaming, and identity of a user. So, when someone wants to track down your device or activity, they will get a false IP address and can’t access even your IP address that changes frequently.
A VPN provides the fastest video streaming by removing ISP throttling methods for many apps such as Cinema APK, Popcorn Time, etc. When a customer is getting access to free content, the internet service provider usually slows down the streaming speed that ruins user’s entertainment time. But with VPN, it is removed, and fast streaming can be enjoyed.
There are many sites on Firestick or Fire Tv that are not accessible in certain regions. So, VPN is needed that can provide access to various sites and streams over the globe. VPN has many servers in different countries around the world
Without VPN, our internet provider can get access to our steaming history, and if they don’t like contents we are accessing daily, then they can shut down the Internet connection. But with VPN they are unable to access it.
So, to overcome slow speed, third party attack and limited access VPN are the best things to install.
CHARACTERISTICS OF BEST VPN FOR FIRESTICKS:
There are many VPN available now in the market, so it is hard to choose a perfect one. Some people go for the best free VPN with limited features. As best and free characteristics can’t go together, so using free VPN is just like using no VPN at all. The best one can be bought online, here are some main features of VPN that should be kept in mind while buying:
Online streaming is error-free when its speed is fast; otherwise, it can ruin the entertainment. When we use a VPN, internet speed slows down a little bit so, for this, we have to compare speeds of different VPN. The test results of different VPN’s on the same devices and server as follows:
Without VPN the speed was 44.66Mbps in an internet connection of 50 Mbps.
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
With Express VPN the speed reduces to 41.94 Mbps and with IP Vanish is reduces further to 34.41 Mbps. So, according to speed comparison, Express VPN is the best one.
Encryption protects our data and prevents it from seeing by the third parties like government, hackers, and the service providers. The best encryption protocol is AES 255-bit that is the most difficult one to decrypt, and many best VPN providers use that encryption.
The best VPN provides zero log policy. If encryption is secure, but the service provider can keep your streaming history than VPN is of no use. The best VPN includes this policy so even Service provider can’t track your account, and when someone asks them for a specific person online streaming record, they have nothing to show to them.
Although the installation process of VPN is not a complicated one, sometimes the VPN we are trying to install can’t be downloaded easily or is not available on our Firestick. So, to solve these problems, the service center should be 24/7 available for the customer’s help. Express VPN provides customer support through email and lives chat while IP Vanish provides one via email.
We don’t only use VPNs on our TV we have to apply to sit on our android tablets and mobile phones, laptops, etc. So, VPN that can be compatible with a wide variety of platforms and devices is the best one. If you use an Amazon Firestick, you have to use a small listed VPNs because amazon firestick does not support many VPNs. A VPN that can be officially downloaded should be installed otherwise the other one with the official link should be downloaded.
REMOTE CONTROL AND USER-FRIENDLY:
As some VPN applications on Amazon are not available on the App store, and we have to download it using downloader app, and these apps sometimes don’t run with the remote of Firestick, so it becomes useless.
The overall layout of the VPN must also be user-friendly. Express provides a neat and white theme, and it is 10 % compatible with Firestick remote. While IP vanish put a lot of stuff on the home screen and it looks cluttered. Although it works fine without any flaws.
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to Starbucks WiFi. Secure your data.
The VPN with zero log policy is of no use if it is not under the independent system of judiciary. Those VPN should be used that are not under any intelligence agencies or any government alliance. The headquarter of Express VPN is in BVI that is independent of any judiciary and doesn’t provide any information to 5-Eyes or 14 Eyes etc. So, it offers total privacy for the customers. While IP Vanish falls under Us jurisdiction that follows ‘mandatory data retention law.’
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE:
The topmost VPN is an expensive one, but they offer some days trails for their customer so that they can use the VPN and if they are not satisfied with the service, they will get their full amount back. So, these VPNs should be preferred.
Despite all the encryption and no-log policy some additional security features are requires foe the 100% privacy such as
DNS leak protection: It prevents the leakage of the data or requests to be revealed to the service provider.
Split tunneling: It allows you to route your apps or internet traffic to the encrypted and secured VPN while others are using the simple route.
Kill Switch: It makes sure that the IP address of your internet provider is not leaked accidentally when the connection is dropped with the VPN server.
BEST VPN FOR FIRESTICK AND Fire TV:
Depending upon speed and other security features IPVanish is a number 1 VPN in the race. It has almost 3000 internet servers in more than 160 locations and over 90 countries.
It provides AES 256-bit encryption strength which is secure and robust one fo fire Tv and sticks as it also provides DNS leak protection or IPv6 Leak protection, Zero Log policy, kills switch, Split tunneling and router level configuration.
Moreover, it’s a system of judiciary. It is independent as it is BVI (British Virgin Islands); hence, they have no pressure of intelligence agency to lake customer information. It allows connecting 5 devices simultaneously. It is expensive than other VPN providers, but it is fully secured. It ensures customers keep experiencing free entertainment. It provides a 30 days money-back guarantee and also 24/7 hours live chat support. Netflix, Hulu and BBC iPlayer are also offered by it.
The IP Vanish service also boasts speed and security. It provides 1/3 servers, which means 1200 servers over 60 countries.
IT is open VPN with AES 256 encryption, IKEv2 hence has stable and robust security of the connection, but some facilities are less another one.
It falls under a judiciary that is not independent i.e., in US jurisdiction and US laws, it is necessary to take note of the history of customer that is against the no-log policy.
It allows ten devices to connect by one account and also provides router level configuration. It offers seven days money-back guarantee.
IPVanish has the best combination of quality and quantity. It is cheaper than others, and IP vanishes and offers a 30 days free trial and money-back guarantee. It is affordable and provides 5200 servers in 62 countries all around the world. It gives the largest server network. It had double military-grade encryption and also provides zero- log policy. It offers good speed. It is Open VPN with IPsec and IKEv2.
Are Free VPNs GOOD FOR FIRESTICK?
Using Free VPN is just like using no VPN at all. It is better to use no VPN than using the free one. Because The open VPN networks provide no security any encryption and no safety of the data.
They even sell user data to other companies to earn money as they can’t get money from their customers. They also sell this data to advertisement and marketing companies which can use your information for making new strategies.
They can even get access to all of your streaming on FIRE Tv or Firestick, your emails and also can control the device.
HOW TO INSTALL VPN for Firestick?
Mainly there are two methods to download a VPN on Firestick or Tv device or Cube. Choice of technique depends upon the type of VPN you are going to install, whether it is available on the app store of fire stick or not. These methods are as following:
Through Amazon App Store (Express and IP vanish are available on App store)
Through Downloader /APK file (If Ip vanish or other VPNs are not available on the fire stick app store).
METHOD 1: Installation of VPN for firesticks on App Store
This method is suitable for only those VPNs that are present in the main list of App store VPN.
- Get a subscription or Register an account on your desired VPN.
- On Home screen search for the VPN of your choice.
- In the search result, click on the VPN name and download its app.
- After downloading install its app, then login directly to your account on VPN app.
- When Connection Request prompt appears on the screen click OK.
- If you want to connect to a different connection location, then click on All location Tab and select your desired country or area.
- The setup is completed, now your internet connection will be secured.
METHOD 2: Installation of VPN from the downloader/APK file
If your required VPN is not available in App store, then it can be downloaded from downloader by using APK file (URL for that website).
- Search for “Downloader “on the home screen of Firestick.
- Select the downloader app in the searched list, then click directly on the download button.
- After complete download, open the app, then click allow so that it can access files on the device.
- Now enter URL of APK file for IPVanish VPN APK and click go.
- Note: Install this app if it doesn’t directly install then click the download button and then APK file.
- This VPN app will not appear in the app store as it is downloaded by using another app.
- So, to find it you need to go to primary Setting then Application menu.
- Click Installed application tab where you can find the downloaded VPN.
- At last Launch VPN app and log in to your VPN account.
- Click the desired country and press connect.
BONUS METHOD: Install a VPN on a router
Some VPN neither paper on app store nor they have APK file, but they work on the router (router app), or for advanced security and to encrypt all the data that leaves from the LAN. Fire Stick will ask to be protected as we use VPN router app and for this, the location must be in a country where LAN is present. Simple step to Install VPN on Router areas
- First of all open router login page by entering 192.168.1.1 in the browser URL bar for Asus routers then enter login details of router account.
- Now a list of choices appears on the left side of the column. Click WAN, and we have to adjust the Setting according to the following instructions:
- WAN Connection Type: Automatic IP
- Enable WAN: Yes
- Enable NAT: Yes
- Enable UPnP: Yes
- Connect to DNS Server Automatically: NO
- DNS Server 1:000.00.000.000 (use your server address)
- DNS SERVER 2: 0.0.0.0
- DHCP Query Frequency: Aggressive Mode
- Click the lock, and the Setting will be saved.
- Now select the VPN setting and then ‘VPN client.’
- Then a serer list appears that is empty now select Add profile.
- Now add the information necessary, Open VPN is the most secured one but has slow speed while PPTP has the lowest security features and fast pace.
- L2TP appears in the middle with moderate speed and security. Select the encryption protocol and then add the information.
An example of the PPTP encryption n protocol is:
- Now click OK and the profile id added to the router.
- At last, click activate. Remember, you can add various encryption type in the profile list, but only one can be used at a time.
VPN SETTINGS FOR FIRESTICK & FIRE TV:
- Click a setting option in the top right corner of the app.
- Split tunneling is used to select the app that we don’t want to be protected by VPN is useful for apps that don’t allow VPN such as Netflix.
- Scramble is used to bypass those websites that block or don’t uses VPNs.
- VPN protocol provides connection protocol selection. It has OpenVPN (TCP) and OpenVPN (UDP), UDP is recommended as it allows for faster downloading speeds.
- Port provides the route through which traffic moves. Port 443 is the best and can be used for HTTPS.
VPN app stops working is a very rare problem, but if that happens, then follow these steps:
- First, go to settings and click application then manage application and uninstall the app.
- Now restart or unplug Firestick or Tv. Allow it to rest for a minute or two then plug back it
- If the problem continues, then you need to change the VPN location.
- If you are experiencing lagging contact, then contact customers support center.
- If you have the 1st generation Firestick then no VPN can work on it because of its sow processing. SO, use 2nd generation Firestick.
- If you forgot your VPN account password, it’s no problem it can be reset by clicking Forgot Password button.