[easyazon_link identifier=”B01GE9QMZM” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]PC[/easyazon_link] at a crawl? Feeling more like the tortoise and not the haire? Check out our Ultimate How to Speed Up Windows 10 guide to get your PC speeding toward the finish line.
In this guide we show you how to clean up your Windows with Glary Utilities, disk defrag (for non-SSD only), by replacing your HDD, clearing your browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Del), scanning for & removing malware, removing clutter from your desktop, and other Windows 10 tips & optimization tricks.
Firestick Security warning: Your location is: (Ashburn, VA). Your trackable IP address is (184.108.40.206).
How to Speed Up Windows 10
Use Glary Utilities to Speed Up Windows 10
There’s a multitude of [easyazon_link identifier=”B015P3SNN2″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]PC[/easyazon_link]-optimizer software packages available, but most of that software costs money! And some of it costs quite a bit of money. But then there’s good old freeware: [easyazon_link identifier=”B00I4VC46A” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Glary Utilities[/easyazon_link]. Glary Utilities has been around for several years (I know because I’ve been using it for years to optimize all my PCs) and is trustworthy. It does have some “popup” dialog boxes that are semi-ads, but it’s not horrible. The PC optimization is worth the little bit of in-app advertising they do.
How to Install Glary Utilities
Use Ninite (http://Ninite.com) to safely and quickly install [easyazon_link identifier=”B00AEZWVC6″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Glary Utilities[/easyazon_link] on your [easyazon_link identifier=”B01AVGNYAK” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Windows 10 PC[/easyazon_link] / [easyazon_link identifier=”B01DT4A2R4″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]laptop[/easyazon_link].
How to Use Glary Utilities
To use [easyazon_link identifier=”B00AEZWVC6″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Glary Utilities[/easyazon_link], simply open the program and hit the “1-Click Maintenance” button.
- Honorable mention: [easyazon_link identifier=”B00NWDP6P6″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]CCleaner[/easyazon_link] (short for “crap cleaner”) is another good system-clean-up application.
Use a Disk Defragmenter to Speed Up Windows 10 (only if your PC does not have a Solid State Drive [SSD]).
[easyazon_link identifier=”B009CPDI62″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Mechanical hard drives[/easyazon_link] can scatter files everywhere across the hard drive, resulting in long load times and a slow computer in general.
Hard Drive Wars: Mechanical vs. Solid State
There are two general types of hard drives:
- Old-fashioned (or “[easyazon_link identifier=”B009CPDI62″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]mechanical[/easyazon_link]”) hard drives
- New hard drives (“[easyazon_link identifier=”B00OBRE5UE” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]solid state drives[/easyazon_link]”).
Which drives should be defragmented and which hard drives shouldn’t?
- Mechanical hard drives should be de-fragmented on a regular basis to re-collect all the files your operating system has scattered across the hard drive.
- Solid state drives do not need to be de-fragmented, since the location of the files on the drive is a non-issue. Why? Since solid state drives are non-mechanical and access their data instantly, fragmenting is not an issue for solid state drives. In fact, defragmenting a solid state drive will only put more wear-and-tear on the hard drive, reducing its life span.
So only [easyazon_link identifier=”B00E587V7I” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]defragment[/easyazon_link] mechanical hard drives!
Free Up Disk Space
Use a tree-view disk-space analyzer such as WinDirStat to view your computer’s disk space usage. You should have at least 5GB of free space for your operating system ([easyazon_link identifier=”B01019T6O0″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Windows 10[/easyazon_link]) to run smoothly.
Replace Old Hard Drive with a Solid State Drive to Speed Up Windows 10
As mentioned above, solid state drives are the “wave of the future” (and current). A few old-fashioned people will stand by mechanical drives, but the fact is [easyazon_link identifier=”B00OBRE5UE” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]solid state drives[/easyazon_link] are much, much faster at reading data.
Revive Your Old Laptop / PC with a SSD!
So, you can breathe new life into an [easyazon_link identifier=”B00OBA5AZU” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]old laptop[/easyazon_link] or [easyazon_link identifier=”B017K5ZVME” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]desktop PC[/easyazon_link] by replacing the old hard drive with a new, solid state drive (SSD) for about $20.
I know this because I did it to an old [easyazon_link identifier=”B01CGGOZOM” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]HP laptop[/easyazon_link] I had that had slowed to a crawl. I got a 64GB SSD from Amazon and swapped that bad boy out, replacing my old-fashioned hard drive. The speed increase was amazing – this old laptop was faster than all my other PCs! Note: Some laptops are difficult to replace the hard drive on, so I recommend searching YouTube for “replace hard drive <laptop name here>” to get an idea of how the hard drive replacement process goes for your laptop.
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
How to Replace Your Old Hard Drive With a Solid State Drive (SSD)
Replacing your hard drive with a solid state drive is usually pretty easy. The “usually” part means that some laptops have hard drives that are difficult to access, and therefore difficult to replace. So as mentioned above, research your laptop
- Find and unscrew the plate that holds your laptop’s hard drive in
- For desktop PC’s, you’ll need to open the tower and look toward the drive bays
- Remove the hard drive by gently pulling it out of the slot and out of the laptop. Some hard drives also have a screw that holds the hard drive securely in place, so if your laptop has one of these, make sure it’s unscrewed before you yank that old hard drive out.
- Put the new hard drive in by pushing it in the same place you took the old hard drive out (duh?:).
- Put the hard drive cover back on and screw the screws back in so your brand new solid state drive doesn’t fly out!
- Start your laptop back up with a bootable thumb drive to install an operating system like Windows or Linux. Install your operating system and feel the speed!
Clear your web browser’s cache
You’ve probably heard of this or even already done it at least a few times. Whether you’ve already cleared your browser’s cache in the past or not, you should still read about how often to do it and why clearing your browser’s cache matters.
Scan & remove malware
Pro Tip: Use Ninite to install the most popular software with no dialog boxes (install questions) or hassle with the free Ninite website (http://Ninite.com). I’ve used it for years on all my PCs and it’s saved me hours and hours of installing common software.
Using the methods in this how-to guide are sure to speed up Windows 10. So try them out and let us know what works and what doesn’t work for you! We’ll get this done together. Leave your questions and comments below.
60% off VPN Coupon
Take 60% off the same VPN I use.
- Simple Internet security
- Set it up with my tutorial videos
- Unblock & hide Kodi streams
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to Starbucks WiFi. Secure your data.
(No-Risk 7-Day Money Back Guarantee)
Or see my video that shows you how a VPN stops hackers .