This is a comparison of Samsung Gear VR vs Playstation VR. In this comparison we expose the similarities & differences of Samsung Gear VR vs Playstation VR. To sum it up, the Samsung Gear VR setup will cost you around $480 (or more) and is for very “occasional” gamers, while the Playstation VR will set you back around $760 and is definitely satisfactory for hardcore gamers such as myself. Keep reading to see the Pros and Cons of each Virtual Reality headset and expose the strengths and weaknesses of the operating systems that power them.
Samsung Gear VR vs Playstation VR
- Samsung Gear costs $80+, Playstation VR costs $400+
- Gear VR is for casual gamers who don’t want to break the bank
- Playstation VR is for serious gamers who want a fully immersed, intense gaming experience
Samsung Gear VR Pros
- Costs under $100
- If you already have a Gear VR-capable Android phone, this is an easy, inexpensive way to get your first taste on Virtual Reality at home
Samsung Gear VR Cons
- You need an Android Samsung Galaxy S6 or S7 to use the Samsung Gear VR
- The game selection will always be weak compared to the major VR headsets like Playstation VR, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive
- Gameplay is limited to whatever the phone is limited to
Android Operating System for Samsung Gear VR
- Samsung Gear VR is powered by Android OS, so Android users will already be comfortable navigating through the Samsung Gear VR experience.
- Android OS updates automatically when your phone has a data connection or WiFi
Playstation Operating System for PS VR
- PS VR is powered by the Playstation operating system, which has been powering their consoles for many years. The latest versions of the Playstation OS are extremely “comfortable”-feeling, are fluid in their movement, they have “pleasant” sounds when you move around the menu, and is just smooth in general to use.
- Playstation operating system receives regular updates when your PS4 is connected to the Internet via WiFi or Ethernet
Playstation VR Pros
- The game selection will be MUCH better than Samsung Gear VR’s, because Sony already has major contracts with the world’s best game designers. PS VR already boasts games like Resident Evil 7 and Call of Duty Infinite Warfare.
- PS VR uses the Playstation 4’s more-than-capable hardware to power your gaming experience
Playstation VR Cons
- This awesome unit costs a pretty $399 just for the headset. The camera will run you around $70. If you don’t have a PS4 already, that’ll cost you $300 USD. Those are the three things you’ll need. In this Samsung Gear VR vs Playstation VR comparison, it was difficult for us to find many “Cons” for the PS VR. You can optionally get the bundle, but most games don’t require the use of the Motion Controllers that the bundle gives you.
- Players are limited to sitting in a small area for games to fully recognize the player’s location in the room. This will become better over time as Sony improves on their PS VR headset, but is still an annoyance for now.
Samsung Gear VR Summary
- Samsung Gear VR is best for casual gamers who want some game capabilites, but don’t necessarily want to do the “gamer” thing.
- The Gear VR headset costs roughly $80, and the new-ish Android phone you’ll need (Samsung Galaxy 6, 7, or newer Note) will run you about $400 or more.
- Games cost between $2 to $15 and are downloaded via the Google Play store on your Android phone (from within the VR mode or outside of the VR mode).
- Total cost of Samsung Gear VR setup: $480
Playstation VR Summary
- Playstation VR is for serious gamers, because it uses the already-awesome power of the PS4.
- The PS4 console costs $300 for an awesome Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Bundle (highly, highly recommended – MUST have), and the PS VR headset costs $400. You’ll also need a Playstation Camera for $60.
- Games cost between $19.99 (Batman Arkham VR, for example) to $89.99 (Resident Evil 7 Deluxe Edition) and can be bought on disc at a store like GameStop or downloaded via the Playstation Store on your PS4.
- Total cost of Playstation VR setup: $760
Games for PS VR
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B01I48X1A0″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Batman Arkham VR[/easyazon_link] (action game)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B01GW8Y17G” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Resident Evil 7: Biohazard[/easyazon_link] VR (horror / zombies game)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B01M1EOIJ0″ locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Eve Valkyrie[/easyazon_link] VR (space game)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00VU4J13W” locale=”US” tag=”arizonacaorg-20″]Call of Duty Black Ops 3[/easyazon_link] (This game was not designed for VR, but sure plays well on a VR headset)
Games for Samsung Gear VR
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
- Hello Kitty’s Island Adventure
- Tic Tac Toe
For serious gamers, go with the Playstation VR headset. If you’re a casual gamer, the Samsung Gear VR might satisfy light gaming needs. What are your thoughts on Samsung Gear VR vs PS VR? Is it a no-contest? Chime in on the KFire TV YouTube Channel.