Learn how to install Kodi on your Fire TV/Stick and other devices as Kodi 17.6. This last major revision of the Kodi 17 Krypton line of official builds before Kodi 18 Leia officially gets released fixes most of the remaining bugs. This guide shows you how to install Kodi on Firestick or update to Kodi 17.6.
What is Kodi 17.6?
This build version, the last Kodi Krypton major revision before Kodi 18 Leia, doesn’t seem to affect much aside from those few bugs that have been annihilated. Of course, a few issues remain; else, why would anyone look forward to a build of Kodi 18 Leia? I believe Kodi 18 should be absolutely legen… wait for it—and I hope you’re not lactose intolerant, because… awe heck. Never mind. Let’s get back to our regularly scheduled programming and learn how to install Kodi on Firestick the easy way.
What’s in this Kodi 17.6 Install / Update Guide?
The first section below shows you how to very easily update Firestick Kodi Krypton to the latest Kodi 17.6 build appropriate to your particular Firestick or Fire TV. This method uses the Kodi Android Updater within Kodi itself!
The second section below includes steps showing you how to install Kodi 17.6 on Firestick or Fire TV using an Android app called Downloader. This installation process will overwrite your existing Kodi if you have it installed already, though will let you keep your settings if you wish.
WARNING FIRESTICK USERS
YOUR INFORMATION IS EXPOSED
Your location is: Ashburn VA
Your current IP address is: 2001:4455:2f7:b700:f880:7bad:b46b:1768
You can stream and download anonymously through your PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone through IP Vanish.
HIDE ME NOW
Kodi 17.6 Post-Install: How to Install Builds
Last but not least, we show you how to make the most of your Kodi Firestick installation by installing a full build or some TV add-ons. As a final bonus, we’ve included information concerning the up-and-coming, though not yet quite ready for prime-time, Kodi 18 Leia. Enjoy the final Krypton release—Kodi 17.6—on your Firestick or Fire TV!
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
How to Update to Kodi 17.6 from Within Kodi Itself
This super-simple process can only be done from within an existing installation of Kodi 17 Krypton or higher. If you don’t already have Kodi installed, head down to How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton Final on Firestick / Fire TV. If you do have Kodi installed, you probably already know how important it is to run it through a secure VPN while using it, right? The massively coordinated takedown of Kodi repository and add-on developers just this past week should serve as a warning to Kodi users without protection.
Install Kodi Android Installer
This beautiful little plug-in lets you select from nearly every version of Kodi from 15 “Isengard” to the latest release of 17.6 for installation. It even cleans up after itself once the install is completed!
- First, go into the Kodi Add-on menu.
- Then, enter the Add-on browser top menu item, which resembles an open box icon.
- Once there, elect to Install from repository.
- Choose the official Kodi repository. If it is the only one you have installed (it comes with Kodi), then this is unnecessary. It will open automatically for you.
- Then, go into the Program add-ons directory where you will find Kodi Android Installer; click on it.
- Hit the Install button.
- Kodi Android Installer shows up as installed.
- Find Kodi Android Installer in Kodi Add-ons > Program add-ons.
Update to Kodi 17.6 with Kodi Android Installer
The Kodi Android Installer has made updating Kodi on any android device as simple as installing any other add-on. Watch how quickly this process is completed. Follow along…
- Open the Kodi Android Installer, then choose Releases. Unless, of course, you feel courageous or adventurous and have nothing better to do. Then, go ahead and select one of the other, less stable, versions to gamble with.
- Select the arm Kodi release. I recommend this for every Amazon Fire device. See the note below if you have a generation 2 Fire TV, which has an Ethernet port and MicroSD slot built-in.
- Now, choose the version of Kodi you wish to install; Kodi 17.6 for this tutorial.
- Notice the svelte 82.79Mb for such a thing of beauty as Kodi 17.6 downloads.
- Once the Kodi 17.6 installer finishes downloading, a dialog comes up asking if you want to install an update. It also lets you know your data will not be lost and informs you of any updated permissions. The image shows an update from Kodi 17.4 to 17.6, so no new permissions were necessary.
- You can view all of Kodi’s permissions if you like, then click Install.
- Then, you are given the option to simply end the process, which is completed, or go ahead and open your new Kodi 17.6 installation.
- Installation of Kodi 17.6 finishes during its first run.
- Now, the Kodi Android Installer lets you know the installation is complete and the mess created by installation has been cleaned up.
- Make certain nobody either blocks your access or records your online activities; install the best VPN for Kodi. They have a 30-day money-back guarantee along with free applications just for the Fire TV and Firestick!
- To get the most out of your new Kodi 17.6 installation, be sure to also load a build, or at least some TV add-ons into it! Jump on down to Part 3 for some great up-to-date suggestions!
I cannot imagine the process being simpler than that. Well… yes; maybe I can, but then I’ve been told I have a really freakin’ wild imagination. I still don’t think flying unicorns farting rainbow lasers through cotton candy clouds to alight upon my Fire TV while granting the wish of an instant Kodi update can really happen. Can it?
This update process is brought to visual life with this infographic. Feel free to click on the image for a pdf representation of our Kodi 17.6 Update Infographic.
How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton Final on Firestick / Fire TV
Part 1: Install Downloader & Enable Apps From Unknown Sources
Enable Unknown Sources
If you’ve already enabled unknown sources on your Firestick or Fire TV (perhaps you installed Terrarium TV?), you can jump ahead to the Downloader Installation.
- While at the Fire TV / Firestick home screen, choose “Settings” from the menu at the top of your screen. Not sure where the menu is? Press the “Home” button on your Fire TV remote, then tap the top of the remote’s ring button until you see the horizontal menu containing “Home – Your Videos – Movies – TV Shows – Apps – Settings” at the top of your screen.
- Choose “Device” under the Settings item, then select “Developer Options“.
- At this point, select “ADB Debugging,” then “Apps from Unknown Sources“. Toggle it to “Turn On,” then confirm Apps from Unknown Sources has been enabled.
Download & Install Downloader App
If you’ve already downloaded and installed the Downloader app to your Firestick or Fire TV, then feel free to jump ahead to the Part 2: Download & Install or Update Kodi section below.
- Then, head back to the Firestick / Fire TV home screen.
- Now, go left to the “Search” icon, which looks like a magnifying glass.
- Then, start typing “Downloader” in the search text box. Once you see the word “Downloader” appear in the list below, tap on the bottom of the ring button (aka “down” button) on your Fire TV remote until you’ve selected the word “Downloader” in the list below the OSK. The word turns yellow to let you know when you’ve selected it.
- Within the search results, choose the icon for the Downloader app in Apps & Games.
- Then, elect to install the Downloader app by telling your Fire TV / Firestick to “Download” it. We’ll now use this to download then install Kodi 17.6 Krypton (Final) onto your Firestick or FireTV!
Launch the Downloader app once successfully installed, then follow these next steps to install Kodi 17.6 on your Firestick and/or FireTV.
Part 2: Download & Install or Update Kodi
Download Kodi 17.6 apk
- Launch the Downloader app, then dismiss popups if any appear.
- Now, choose the address box (it has “http://” in it) with the center button on your Fire TV remote. After this, an on-screen keyboard should show up.
- Then, type in the apk file’s address: http://bit.ly/kodi176kftv
- Allow the download of Kodi 17.6 to finish. If installing on the new 3rd Generation 4K Fire TV, then jump ahead to the Install Kodi on 4K Fire TV section.
Install Kodi 17.6 on Firestick and Fire TV (NOT gen3 Fire TV)
- Once Kodi 17.6 has finished downloading, the installer should launch automatically, then ask “Do you want to install this app?” if this is a new installation. However, you will see “Do you want to install an update to this existing application?” if Kodi exists already. Choose “Install“, then wait for the installation of Kodi to finish.
- Once your device lets you know “App Installed”, click on “Open” to launch Kodi!
- When Kodi launches for the first time, it may take several second as it finalizes its install and clean-up. You will see “Preparing for First Run.. Please wait.” on the screen while you wait.
- Avoid having your access blocked or announcing your online activities; the best VPN for Kodi will give you peace of mind for less than the price of a monthly cup of coffee. They even have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out without worry. Also, check out the free applications they made especially for Fire TV & Firestick users!
- The one thing left to do? Install a build, or at least some video addons. Jump down to Part 3 for a few great suggestions.
Install Kodi 17.6 on 4K Fire TV (IMPORTANT Alternate Steps!)
If installing Kodi on the new 4K Fire TV, then you must use the method below. The 4K Fire TV doesn’t allow Downloader app to run the apk file (Kodi installer). Therefore, we’ll use ES File Explorer to launch the installer for Kodi 17.6! Let’s run through this really quick…
- Click “Done” when Kodi has finished downloading using the Downloader app.
- Then, press the Fire TV remote Home button.
- Now, move to the Search icon (spyglass), then start typing “es file” until you notice ES File Explorer in the list below.
- Choose ES File Explorer within the search result list.
- Then, select “Get“, and wait for ES File Explorer to install.
- Press Open to start ES File Explorer up.
- Dismiss any popups that may appear in ES File Explorer, then choose Local.
- Now, under Local, choose Home.
- Then, choose the Downloader folder on ES File Explorer’s right side.
- At this point, select the Kodi installer file you downloaded earlier to launch the Kodi installer. The Kodi insaller has a BLUE and WHITE icon with the Kodi logo and is named kodi-17.6-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk.
- ES File Explorer will now give three options. Click the Install button.
- Once the Kodi installer starts, click Install, then wait for Kodi to install.
- When you see “App Installed”, choose Open to start Kodi up!
- Don’t let anyone block your access or record your online activities; install the best VPN for Kodi. Also, take advantage of their free applications, coded specifically for the Firestick & Fire TV!
- At this point, the only thing left to do is install a build or some add-ons. The next section gives some great options for you to complete your Kodi entertainment center.
Part 3: Install a Kodi BUILD
Kodi 17 Post-Install Tutorial Video
The video below shows you what to do after you install Kodi 17 FireStick. These instructions also work for Amazon Fire TV, Android TV Box, or practically any device with enough storage available and Kodi installed (because Kodi is the same on all operating systems, or “cross-platform”):
We’ve used the immensely popular Kodi Xenon Build in this example, but you don’t have to install this one. There are many more available to suit your tastes. A few of the best can be found below.
Kodi 17 Firestick Builds and TV Addons
To make the most of your Kodi Firestick / Fire TV installation, try out one of these current favorite builds.
You can also browse the KFire TV front page, which brings you the latest and greatest TV add-ons Kodi has to offer every day!
After the installation of a Kodi build or some add-ons, then TV streams, movies, music, sports, and much more await your perusal from within the latest Kodi 17.6 Firestick / Fire TV version. Remember to always use the latest Kodi version your hardware is capable of and remain safe when doing so by using a VPN. Enjoy!
How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton on Windows
If you’re using Kodi on a Windows computer, you might want to update to Kodi 17.6. If so, you’re in the right place! Here, we’ll tell you how to install Kodi 17.6 on Windows OS.
The first thing you’ll want to do is go to Kodi’s downloads and updates page, which you can access by clicking this link.
Where it says “Current release: Kodi v17.6 Krypton,” click the Installer link that will show up on the page. This will automatically start downloading the .exe file you need to update your Kodi system.
Once the file is installed, follow any prompts it gives you in order to complete the update.
An important thing to note is that if you already have a different version of Kodi installed on your Windows computer, make sure to install the .exe file in the exact same location as you installed that version. This will ensure a clean download and full upgrade success.
How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton on Mac
To update to Kodi 17.6 on Mac OS systems, you’ll want to follow a similar process to the Windows tutorial. Go to the Kodi downloads page by following this link to get started.
When you click the Installer link, the difference will be that a .dmg file will start downloading that contains the Kodi update. When it’s done downloading, double click on it to start the installation process.
Follow the prompts that the system gives you to finish integrating Kodi 17.6 on your Mac. Make sure to follow the step of dragging and dropping the application into your Applications folder so that the update completes successfully.
If you have a previous version of Kodi installed on your Mac, it won’t be hard to update to the new one. Mac OS makes this easy; no extra steps are required here.
Simply install the new version of Kodi onto your Mac computer and the old version will be overridden.
How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton on Linux
If you’re running a Linux operating system and want to update to Kodi 17.6, it may look complicated at first but is actually very simple.
If you have Ubuntu or an Ubuntu-based distribution, Kodi updates are included in them already. This means that you can install 17.6 directly from Ubuntu using simple commands.
Below, we’ll provide the code you need to install the Kodi update. Make sure to type this in very carefully so that the installation can proceed without a hitch.
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi
That’s all! Once you enter the code, Kodi should start installing the newest update on the system. If you have a third-party distribution, they aren’t usually supported by Kodi like Ubuntu, so make sure it’s running correctly if you install over a different one.
How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton on a Raspberry Pi
When you have a Raspberry Pi device, there is a built-in operating system called the Raspbian. Unfortunately, Kodi 17.6 is not supported yet on this OS, so you won’t be able to use the default OS to install the update.
But, don’t worry! There are many distributions that you can use with the Raspberry Pi that can help install Kodi updates. So, you can technically use Raspberry Pi to do this but make sure you have a distribution that supports it.
One distribution that we can recommend we use is LibreELEC. LibreELEC has released new software in its beta stages that is compatible with the Kodi 17.6 update.
If you can manage to install the LibreELEC onto an SD card and integrate it into your Raspberry Pi, you can launch its distribution and install Kodi updates.
Luckily, if you have any of the other systems listed above, you can go to the LibreELEC Krypton update page here and they will download the LibreELEC creator tool for you.
Kodi 17.6 Changes, Fixes & Updates
The Kodi 17.6 and 17.5 updates contained mostly bugfixes. Major new features really haven’t appeared in Krypton for some time. I’m sure the Kodi team of developers is holding all of the amazeballs for their Kodi 18 release.
Until you try out Kodi 17.6 Firestick for yourself, check out these bugs that have been fixed since the previously latest Kodi version (Kodi 17.5 Krypton):
- Potential controller dialog crashes fixed
- Occasional internal browser connection issues fixed
- Fixed crashing when peripheral joystick add-on is disabled
- Update standard scrapers to most current versions as of release date
Kodi Not Working?
Check out our Fix Kodi Not Working guide!
Kodi 17.3 DMCA Notice: Ever since the release of Kodi 17.3, users in the UK and US have reported receiving growing numbers of DMCA notices. As a Kodi user, I protect my identity and streaming data with a VPN so I don’t receive DMCA letters. After you install Kodi, I suggest you do the same and use our exclusive 60% off a 1 Year Subscription deal on the best VPN for Kodi. Then, use the freely available apps designed especially for the Firestick and Fire TV to control what the world sees when you use the internet!
How to Install Kodi on Firestick (Kodi 18 Sneak Peek)
- Using your FireStick / Fire TV, go to the Home screen by pressing the Home button on the Fire TV remote.
- Go to Search
- Start typing to search for “es file explorer” until you see ES File Explorer show up in the list below
- Within the result list, select ES File Explorer, then press Download / Install / OK
- After ES File Explorer has installed, go back to the Fire TV Stick home screen
- Go to Apps
- Select ES File Explorer to launch ES File Explorer
- After ES File Explorer has launched, go to Download Manager (underneath Tools)
- Move the cursor to select the “+ New” button on the bottom of the screen. Select the “+ New” button.
- In the File Path field, enter “https://bit.ly/Kodi18nightly2017-11-17”
- In the Name field, enter “Kodi 18” (or any name you want)
- Move the cursor to the Download button and select Download
- Once the Kodi 18 Leia APK file has downloaded, select Open File
- Choose Install
- Once Kodi has installed, go back to the Fire TV home screen
- Go to Apps
- Select Kodi to launch Kodi!
- Optional, yet HIGHLY Recommended: Unblock Kodi Addons by using a VPN (60% off right here!)
Don’t forget the last step of the process above!
Why? Because the last step of the Kodi 17 Firestick install process sets up TV Addons on your device and The best VPN for Kodi secures your Internet connection permanently by using automated, military-grade encryption and location masking. Use my Kodi VPN YouTube video to set this up in just a few minutes on FireStick, Android, iPhone, PC or any other device. Furthermore, you should use a VPN to hide Firestick IP address along with all your other Internet activity in general.
Kodi 17 First and Last Impressions
All things considered, Kodi 17.6 Firestick is a welcomed upgrade. Furthermore, what an improvement Kodi Krypton itself has been over Kodi Jarvis! Right off the bat, the dashboard home screen became very “smooth”, with lots of fine detail. The animations have also been much smoother. Although, having the Fire TV Box as opposed to a Firestick does help, because the additional CPU power allows Kodi menus to animate more smoothly.
The playback and TV Addon install process was extremely fast and successful as well. Finally, being able to download Kodi 17, install it along with some add-ons, then be watching a movie all in 5 minutes flat… Kodi 17 wins! Bring on Kodi 18!
If you have trouble with the Kodi 17 Firestick install process, then look for answers on the KFireTV website!
Keep going ! The ‘little peope’ appreciate what you are doing.
I’m in the process of updating my firestick (Kodi), I’m in the step to press Kodi android installer…. I do n9t have it in my menu. Kodi is on my Android phone, I’m on my tv.. The menu l9oks identical minus what I’m lookong for. How do I correct this?
Having problem installing kodi will not install I have I think Burts build wookie on my stick it say app not installed should I just go factory settings and start all over because I had kodi. Think wookie is blocking me
I’m sure we can get you squared away if you haven’t figured this out yet. Are you trying to update Kodi on your Firestick, or update your Firestick by installing Kodi? I’m unsure how the phone comes into play.
If you don’t have any important settings yet, reverting to factory fresh is a great option. I know some builds make their menu systems kinda wonky and even leave things out, which limits what you can do with the system itself. Several repositories got taken down last week, so this could be a factor also. Maybe a fresh install and then update to a newer build would do the trick. If you go that route, check out the brand new Looking Glass Wizard for some fresh builds! Let us know how you come out!
Hello. I am trying to install this build on Part 3 but once I get to Install from Zip file and select ares nothing pops up. It continues to bring me to the same section of ares. Please help.
Hey thanks for this write up! I did not know about the Android installer addon hiding in Kodi repo. Easy street to update now. Cheers!
Darned right; that thing is a wonderful addition! Enjoy!
Did you get this issue resolved? If not, can you let me know if you’re having trouble with the popups in Downloader App or ES File Explorer? Also, what particular popup dialog are you frozen on during this process? I’m sure we can get this worked out pretty painlessly.
Which build are you trying to install? The Ares Project was shut down along with many others in mid-November. I would suggest the Xenon or Titanium builds for now. You could also install the Looking Glass Wizard and check out some of the builds in there. I’ll update the article to get rid of any builds that require the Ares Project. Thanks for pointing this out.
Just gone through your first choice of update for kodi on firestick, followed all instructions easily, until at the very end i get the on screen message telling me update failed. I cannot view kodi at all now. Do u think my internet provider is blocking it?
It is possible that either your ISP or Amazon is blocking it if you’re not hiding your activities with a VPN. If you’de like, you can try the best one for Kodi with an app made especially for the Firestick. They offer a 7 day money-back guarantee and their prices are really reasonable, especially with our 60% group discount. I know this may just sound like a sales pitch, but Kodi truly is extremely hard to use safely and effectively without a VPN. Actually, I can’t think of a safe way to use it without one. Please let me know your thoughts on it if you try it out. Enjoy!
Tried every way to update my Kodi 17.1 and it always says “app not installed” at the end. So what do I do?
I have a brand new Firestick and can only get to the point where I type in the URL for Kodi as shown above and it just says connecting going on a half hour now. I am in Downloader. Help! (And I typed the URL 3 times….it’s not that its wrong.)
I see that Diggz Wizard is 3.6 on your video and 4.0 on my screen. I guess this is where the problem is?
Hi Alex! It sounds like the version of Kodi you have installed may have been modified in some way before it was installed. This happens a lot with boxes that are purchased with Kodi already installed. The box manufacturer probably altered Kodi. The updater checks the signature of Kodi to see if it matches a release, then updates only if it does. It’s kind of a pain if you have a lot of customizations, but you will most likely need to uninstall Kodi and then download and install the latest version.
Thanks for pointing this out. I did this install again just now on a fresh Kodi 17.6 Krypton install and got the build prompt after the latest wizard installed. If you don’t get the prompt, you can find the builds menu under (Diggz) Builds upon opening the wizard, which is in your Add-ons / Program add-ons area of Kodi.
I’ve been trying to install kodi on a new fire tv just purchased. I have followed the instructions to the es file installer. Go to file, home, downloader, and install. After trying to install I get a “For security, your TV has been set to block installation of apps obtained from unknown sources.” What am I doing wrong?
It sounds like you haven’t got “Unknown Sources” enabled yet. You can go through the steps in the Enable Unknown Sources section to fix this and all should work great. Enjoy!
You’re absolutely welcome!
I went through the above steps however my KODI is still showing “Your library is currently empty ….
I have added several different Add-ons however none seem to be working.
I am new to using kodi firesticks and I have a firestick that’s still running kodi 17.0… what’s the best way to update it to current? Do I have to do each update or can I just go to the current update and install 17.6? It was installed via EZ Build if that makes any difference? Thanks for any help!
Since you’re running Kodi 17 Krypton already, you can simply use the first update method described above. This way, Kodi Krypton updates itself, no matter how it was installed originally. Also, there’s no need to incrementally update; you can jump right to Kodi 17.6 with no problems.
Kodi says your library is empty when you’ve made no media files available locally. You should still be able to stream remote media files using newer Kodi TV add-ons unless your ISP is blocking you. Which Kodi add-ons have you installed, and do any of the Add-ons you’ve installed show up in Video add-ons? Do you have your [chan=”jh”]VPN[/ipv] enabled to avoid having your access blocked?
You can check the Kodi error log by using this article. It may be an issue of someone having modified your Kodi installation. This happens a lot with devices that have Kodi preinstalled. The best option in these cases is deletion and reinstallation of Kodi. Some of these modified Kodi installations can be pretty horrific security risks if you’re not using a securely encrypted VPN.
I just wanted to say thanks for the walk through and if this 51 year old dude can do it anyone can.
I follow the steps everything work perfect thanks. One quick question can I used add ons from XEnon?
You can install any individual add-ons you like, of which there are many newer working ones on the KFire TV front page. You could also install the entirety of the Xenon build to have them all installed.
Hiya Anon! Long time!
What did the remote do to tip you off that it was going crazy? Was it drooling and eating out of the dog’s bowl? That’s kinda par for the course with Fire TV remotes. They’re not the brightest on their best days. Maybe a nice miniature backlit bluetooth keyboard would work better, while also leaving the poor dog something to eat. 0.o
However, if you meant the screen of your Fire Stick zoomed in from an accidental use of the remote, check out the tutorial for fixing the Fire Stick Zoom issue. Carry on… nothing to see here.
I can’t watch TV or movies on my firestick. I’ve tried using the steps provided to update to newest version and I now have v17.6 but it still doesn’t work. Can you please help?
How can I update Kodi from the 17.3 that is on my MXQ Pro device?
There are about a zillion extenders, but the Nighthawk from Netgear is solid. TP-link and Netgear both make great products that are pretty affordable imo.
Thank you for the great guide! I’ve gotten tired of installing the updates and losing all my add-ons. The updater works great!
I can not hear my tv or it sounds like chipmunks!
I’ve had that “chipmunk” sound happen a few times when using Kodi with certain types of media. For me, it was a codec issue as the media was encoded with an audio codec I didn’t have.
I am having trouble with buffering on terranrium
Hi there, check out our guide to buffering on TTV and see if those tips work. If not, it could be some of the streams or providers you’re trying to use.