This guide shows you how to install or update to Kodi 17.5 Firestick version (which is now Kodi 17.5.1). The (new) Kodi 17.5 Krypton was released somewhat quietly on Tuesday October 24th, 2017. In addition, Kodi 17.5.1 was released 36 hrs later (Wednesday, Oct 25th).
The steps below show you how to update or install Kodi 17.5 on Firestick or Fire TV using a simple app called Downloader. Then we show you how to install Tomb Raider build for Kodi 17.5 Krypton (verified as working!). Enjoy Kodi 17.5.1 Firestick version!
How to Install Kodi 17.5.1 Firestick / Fire TV
Part 1: Install Downloader & Enable Apps From Unknown Sources
If you already downloaded the Downloader app to your Firestick or Fire TV, then skip to the “Part 2” section below this section.
- From the Fire TV / Firestick home screen, use the Fire TV remote to select “Settings” from the menu at the top of your screen. Can’t find the menu? Press “Home” on the Fire TV remote, then press “Up” on the remote several times until you see “Home – Your Videos – Movies – TV Shows – Apps – Settings”.
- Then, under “Settings”, select “Device” – then “Developer Options“.
- Now select “ADB Debugging” and “Apps from Unknown Sources“. Then select “Turn On” to confirm enabling Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Then return to the Firestick / Fire TV home screen.
- Now select the “Search” icon (magnifying glass) from the top left corner of the Fire TV home screen
- Then enter the word “Downloader” into the search box. After the word “downloader” is entered, use the “Down” button on the Fire TV remote to select the word “Downloader” just below the on-screen keyboard. You know the word is selected when the word turns Yellow!
- In the search results, select the Downloader app‘s icon under “Apps & Games”.
- Then select “Download” to install the Downloader app, which we will now use to download and install Kodi 17.5 on Firestick or FireTV!
Now that Downloader app is installed, launch Downloader and follow the steps below to install Kodi on Firestick / FireTV.
WARNING FIRESTICK USERS
YOUR INFORMATION IS EXPOSED
Your location is: Ashburn VA
Your current IP address is: 2001:4455:2f7:b700:f880:7bad:b46b:1768
You can stream and download anonymously through your PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone through IP Vanish.
Part 2: Download & Install Kodi
IMPORTANT Note for 4K Fire TV users: Are you installing Kodi on the brand new 4K Fire TV? If yes, then skip to the next section when you get to Step 5 below. The next section (titled “Install Kodi on 4K Fire TV”) is what you should skip to when you hit Step 5 below (but ONLY if you’re installing Kodi on the just-released 4K Fire TV).
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
- Launch the Downloader app by selecting “Open” on your screen. Then dismiss any popup notifications that appear.
- Now select the “address” box that says “http://” using the center button on the Fire TV remote. After doing this, the onscreen keyboard will appear.
- Now enter this address: http://bit.ly/kodi1751kftv (Tip: If that link is slow or doesn’t work for you, enter http://bit.ly/kodi175kftv2 instead).
- Once the Kodi 17.5 download has started, simply wait for it to finish.
- After Kodi finishes downloading, the installer should launch automatically and say “Do you want to install this app?” or “Do you want to install an update to this existing application?” if Kodi is already installed. Select “Install“, wait for Kodi to install, then proceed to the next Step.
- When your device says “App Installed”, select “Open” to launch Kodi!
- After Kodi launches, wait while you the Kodi 17.5 splash screen and the text “Preparing for First Run.. Please wait.”
- Install a Kodi BUILD (scroll down to Part 3 of this tutorial for easy install links)! We highly recommend you install PULSE Build for Kodi 17.5.1. Why? Users on the KFireTV Facebook page are saying it’s the best for Kodi 17.5. Install Pulse Build now (or continue below with Part 3.. same thing!).
Install Kodi on 4K Fire TV (Important Extra Steps!)
IMPORTANT: If you’re installing Kodi on the (new) 4K Fire TV, then follow the steps below. Why? The 4K Fire TV doesn’t (yet) allow the Downloader app to launch the Kodi installer (“apk file”) for us.
Therefore, we must use a different app (ES FIle Explorer) to launch the Kodi 17.5(.1) installer! Here’s how (it’s fast):
- Select “Done” (in the Downloader app) when Kodi is finished downloading.
- Then press the Home button on the Fire TV remote.
- Now go to the “Search” icon, select it, and then search for “es file”.
- Then select ES File Explorer in the search results.
- Now choose “Get“, wait for ES File Explorer to install, then press “Open” to launch ES File Explorer.
- In ES File Explorer, dismiss any popups. Then select “Local“.
- Then under Local, select Home.
- Now choose the “Downloader” folder from the right side of ES File Explorer.
- Then select the Kodi installer file to launch the Kodi installer. The Kodi insaller has a BLUE and WHITE icon with the Kodi logo and is named kodi-17.5.1-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk.
- ES File Explorer now gives you three buttons (one of them says “Install”) – select the Install button.
- After the Kodi installer launches, select “Install“. Then wait for Kodi to install.
- When your 4K Fire TV says “App Installed”, select “Open” to launch Kodi!
- Then proceed to Part 3 below to get the most out of Kodi (install a Build – most users are saying PULSE Build is the best, most reliable build for Kodi 17.5.1 Firestick).
(Optional but HIGHLY Recommended) Part 3: Install a Kodi BUILD
To completely finish your Kodi Firestick / Fire TV experience, install a Kodi build.
Q: How do I install a Kodi build?
A: Watch one of my Kodi Build install videos or read my step-by-step Kodi Build Install guides (below) to quickly and easily install a build in Kodi:
- Tomb Raider Build 2017 (VERIFIED as working with Kodi 17.5 Krypton on 1st gen Firestick & 2nd gen Fire TV box)
- Pulse Build 2017 (VERIFIED as working with Kodi 17.5 Krypton from several users on KFire Facebook page)
- Xenon Build 2017 (not verified w/Kodi 17.5 yet)
- Durex Build 2017 (not yet verified w/Kodi 17.5 Krypton)
- Stephen Builds 2017 (also has not been verified on Kodi 17.5 Firestick)
After you install a Kodi build, you’re totally done and ready to stream TV and movies with Kodi 17.5 Firestick / Fire TV version.
Kodi 17.5 Firestick Reliability
At least one user on Facebook reports that Kodi test groups showed sporadic bugs in Kodi 17.5. This is why Kodi 17.5.1 showed up on Kodi mirrors shortly after (36 hrs, in fact) Kodi 17.5 Final was released.
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to public WiFi. Secure your data.
But after we heard about these bugs, we did our own Kodi 17.5 Firestick & Fire TV tests. Here are the results:
- 1st Generation Amazon Fire TV Stick: Kodi 17.5 works great, especially with Tomb Raider build
- 2nd Generation Amazon Fire TV Box: Kodi 17.5 performs beautifully well, also with Kodi Tomb Raider build.
We also started testing Kodi 17.5.1. Here are those results:
- 1st Generation Amazon Fire TV Stick: The (updated) Kodi 17.5.1 has not been tested by us yet on 1st Gen Firestick.
- 2nd Generation Amazon Fire TV Box: Kodi 17.5.1 works extremely well with Tomb Raider build on 2nd Gen FireTV (aka Firebox).
Due to the reported unreliability of Kodi 17.5, the Kodi 17.5.1 apk file was released shortly after the Kodi 17.5 final version was released. Get the Kodi 17.5.1 version of Kodi below.
BONUS: Install Kodi 17.5.1 Firestick / Fire TV
ProTip: A Kodi “17.5.1” file also appeared 36 hours after the 17.5 file appeared.
You can install the Kodi 17.5.1 Firestick version by entering the address http://bit.ly/kodi1751kftv into the Downloader app instead of the “other” address! Enjoy :)
Kodi 17.5 Changes, Fixes & Updates
Kodi 17.5 and Kodi 17.5.1 contain mostly bugfixes for various parts of Kodi.
While many users report that Kodi 17.5(.1) runs more smoothly and more reliably for them than Kodi 17.5, other users report the opposite. The Kodi 17.5 “pessimists” report issues with playback. See for yourself!
Until you try out Kodi 17.5 Firestick on your own, here are the bugfixes since the latest Kodi version (17.4 Krypton):
- Fixed problems with joystick accelerometers & screensaver issue
- Better way to deal with audio outputting with various Android smartphones & tablets
- Fixed the playback with DVD file content when playing over network on Linux-based devices
- FFmpeg was updated to 3.1.11!
- Down and up buttons were fixed on IR remotes for MacOS High Sierra
- Apple devices (latest) now have support for Retina
- Ability to add media to video library manually is now fixed
- The power message-handling on CEC is now fixed
- Timeline jumping is now fixed when you switch groups of channels in the Guide screen
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Install Kodi 17.5.1 Firestick / Fire TV
- 2 Kodi 17.5 Firestick Reliability
- 3 BONUS: Install Kodi 17.5.1 Firestick / Fire TV