Technology is becoming better day by day. Many organizations are developing devices that allow users watch content from all around the world via TV or smartphone. Roku is one of those devices, and it offers a ton of amazing content. You can watch TV shows, movies, live streaming, music and so much more. Users just need to connect their Roku with a TV and they’re able to immediately start enjoying hours of streaming. However, despite these advantages, there’s at least one problem that has bothered a lot of users. Roku doesn’t have a built-in Roku Sleep Timer. But don’t worry! We have a solution for how to set up a Roku sleep timer.
What is Roku
Roku is also known as a Roku player, is a device that offers a variety of streaming content. It is an American brand that allows their users to view TV shows, movies, music, and a nearly limitless array of other entertainment options. Roku devices can be used with either the help of Wi-Fi or a wired connection.
The Roku device was first released in 2008, and since its release, it has gained a huge audience thanks to the content it offers. Currently, this device has is in its seventh generation. With each generation, the developers keep on making massive improvements. However, if you are buying Roku for the first time, then you need to know about the set up and activation process for your Roku device. We’re here to help you get started with that.
Set Up Your Roku
The Roku TV comes with all the necessary accessories including batteries, quick, a start guide, and a power cord. You will need a wireless home network name and password to connect your Roku device to the internet via wifi, and you will need a computer, tablet, or smartphone to complete the setup. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Connect the power cord and turn on your Roku device
- Turn on your TV, and the Roku logo should fill the screen
- In a few moments, you will land on a guided setup page
- Use your remote and follow the prompts
- It will ask your desired language. Select any language that you want!
- After that, it will ask you to choose your country
- You will see two options: Set up for Home use and Set up for Store use
- Choose Set up for Home use
- Now it will ask you to connect your new Roku device to the internet
- Connect your Roku TV to your network so you can activate your Roku account
- Now you will see all the wireless networks near you. Select your wireless network
- If you don’t see your network listed on the screen, select Scan Again to see all the available networks
- Next, you need to enter your wireless password into the password box
- Keep in mind that your password is case-sensitive
- Now your Roku TV will check for the connection
- If a red cross appears, it will indicate that the Roku device is not connected to the given network
- Once, you have connected to the internet, the Roku TV will download the latest software updates so that you can get the newest features and channels
- When the update completes, your Roku TV will restart, and you are now ready for activation
Activate your Roku
Now you need to activate your Roku device. Below is the complete guide to help you along your journey.
- To activate your Roku TV device, you will need a computer, tablet, or smartphone device
- Open the browser and type roku.com/link
- Now it will ask you to enter the activation code displayed on your TV
- Type the activation code correctly and check that you understand the terms and agreements
- Next click Submit
- It will redirect to a page asking you to either sign in to your Roku account or to create a new one
- To create your account, you need to enter your name, email, and password and click continue
- You can also add a PIN to prevent unwanted purchases
- Next, you will be prompted to save a payment method, which makes it easier to rent or purchase content right from your couch. You will never be charged without your consent
- Finally, you can add some of your favorite channels so that you can stream them on your Roku TV
- To complete activation, scroll down and click Continue
- Your channel will start updating immediately
- Now is a great time to grab your smartphone or tablet and download the Roku mobile app
- The app turns your mobile device into a fully-functioning remote for you Roku TV and lets you display photos or use your headphones for private listening
- As soon as your updates are complete, you are ready for the last step
- If you have a cable box, game console, or Blu-ray player, you need to use an HDMI or composite cable to connect each device and be sure to note which inputs you use for each
- Now power up each device you just connected, and when you are ready select Everything is Plugged In and Turned On
- You can now personalize each device with a unique name and icon
That’s it! Now you are all set up to enjoy great entertainment.
How to Set Up Roku Sleep Timer
Sometime you might fall asleep while watching your favorite TV programs (who hasn’t?) and you want to have the TV turn off automatically with the help of a sleep timer. But what if the device you are using doesn’t have a sleep timer? If that is the problem, then we have the solution for you.
There are many third-party devices that allow you to have a Roku Sleep Timer, and the Smart Surge Protector, also known as The Smart Strip, is one that we’d recommend looking into. This works, not only with Roku but also with the Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and more. The Smart Strip allows you to set timers for any devices that are plugged into it, which means your Roku and TV can be set to shut off whenever you want.
How to Add Roku Sleep Timer Using an iOS App
If you are an iOS user, then setting a Roku sleep timer will be easy for you because there are some great Roku sleep timer apps for iOS devices that allow you to turn off your Roku device after a specific interval.
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
Ro To Sleep: A Roku Sleep Timer is one of these applications that allow you to add a sleep timer to your Roku device. Unfortunately, this app is not available for Android users.
The way this app works is simple; it discovers all the Roku devices that are connected to your network. Below are the steps to follow if you want to set a Sleep Timer on your Roku via the app.
- First, install the Ro to Sleep app from the app store
- After the installation process, open Ro to Sleep: A Roku Sleep Timer
- Select the amount of time you would like to pass before your Roku shuts off and click Set Timer
- Next, click Done and your Roku Sleep Timer is set.
Once you have set the timer, then you can even close the app. You don’t need to keep the Ro to Sleep app open. The app will keep working in the background, so you’re free to keep using your phone for anything else you need.
This app comes up with a three-time limit, but if you want to enable the unlimited timer, then you need to make a simple in-app purchase. It’s possible it pays for itself as the Roku Sleep timer helps you to save electricity by turning off devices when they’re no longer in use.
Roku Needs a Sleep Timer
Roku is an amazing device that offers amazing content. Most people have positive reviews for this device because of the content it offers, but at the same time, there are many people who criticize the Roku device for not having a Roku Sleep Timer. Unfortunately, Roku hasn’t built this amazing feature into its software yet. However, there are many other third-party options available that can help you to set up a sleep timer on your Roku device.
If you are a Roku user and want to add a sleep timer, then you can either use the Smart Strip or the Ro to Sleep app to add a sleep timer. The process of adding a Roku sleep timer on both the device is explained in detail in the steps above. You can choose whichever method works best for you!
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to Starbucks WiFi. Secure your data.