Don’t waste your money buying an unlocked or jailbroken Firestick from eBay. They’re charging you $20+ for something that is both easy and only takes 15 minutes. (That’s on top of the cost of the Firestick, by the way.) Getting your Firestick unlocked does not involve any programming therefore there is no risk of bricking it.
Where to Get Firestick Unlocked?
Don’t buy an unlocked Firestick. Just by a stock Firestick from Amazon and unlock Firestick yourself. A brand new Amazon Firestick is only $29 to $39 (depending on whether they’re running a Firestick sale). It only takes about 5 minutes to make your Firestick unlocked. Furthermore, this way you won’t overpay, you’ll learn how to do something fun & new, and you can do it yourself!
What is a Firestick For?
The amazon tv Firestick allows you to watch movies and TV shows, and even play some games right from your TV with only a wi-fi connection. It turns any TV with an HDMI port into a smart TV.
Firestick Security warning: Your location is: (Ashburn, VA). Your trackable IP address is (18.104.22.168).
Instead of hooking up your laptop to your TV to watch your favorite binge shows on Prime or Hulu, you can do everything with a remote from the comfort of your couch.
Amazon designed the Firestick to be an easy plug an play device that anyone can easily use. The ease of use does limit some options. Luckily, it’s also easy to put add ons on your Firestick. These add ons increase your options on what to watch.
Until you get your Firestick unlocked, it’s a pretty boring device. So keep reading to unlock your Firestick in about 5 minutes!
What is on the Amazon Fire TV Stick?
Amazon wants to make everything easy for you. If you purchase your Firestick directly from Amazon, they automatically tie it to your account. From there you can download apps that are essentially cable channels, except that you watch what you want when you want. You don’t have to be in front of the TV at a specific time each week to watch your favorite show. They also have games available for the Firestick. Some of them require a controller.
Amazon Prime app is the only thing that comes pre-loaded on the Fire tv stick. But adding other trusted apps is as simple as adding new apps to your phone. It’s as easy as going to the app store on your smart phone and downloading whatever interests you.
Most news outlets have an app for the Firestick. All major league sports have apps for it too, although you might need to pay a subscription fee.
The Amazon App store for Firestick has many great free apps for all purposes: Streaming TV, Movies, Utilities, and more. It also has some apps that make use of TV channels like HBO. But if you really want to get your Firestick unlocked, you’ll have access to thousands of extra (“third-party” apps).
What Channels Can You Get For Free with a Firestick?
Many channels available on the Fire TV Stick come with their subscription costs. Channels like Netflix, HBO, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video are all right there, but they aren’t free.
Like we mentioned, until you get your Firestick unlocked, your access to apps is quite limited.
But there are over 100 Fire stick channels available for free. (We tried to count one time and got north of 200 before calling it a lost cause.) Keep in mind they do add more free channels and some move to paid services. So this is by no means a comprehensive list of free channels, but it will give you a good idea of the selection.
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
- BBC News
- CBS All Access
- Disney Junior
- History Channel
- Huff Post Live
- iHeart Radio
- PBS Kids
- Twitch TV
- Watch Food Network
- Watch HGTV
Other paid channels include ESPN, NBA Game Time, MLB TV Premium, Starz, and Showtime. While you’re waiting for things to download, check out our more extensive list of the most popular Firestick Apps for movies and live TV.
How Do You Unlock a Fire TV Stick?
Getting your Firestick unlocked is simple. There is no software to bypass which means there is no risk of messing up the device. It’s less like unlocking a device and more like adding software that lets your customize it.
Firestick Tip: To unlock Firestick is the same thing as Firestick jailbreak. So we use these terms interchangeably, in this context.
How to Jailbreak Firestick with DroidAdmin
A new app emerged recently which makes it super easy to install third party APKs (“apps”) on your Firestick. This app is known as DroidAdmin. DroidAdmin is the easiest way to jailbreak Firestick / get Firestick unlocked.
To get your Firestick Unlocked with DroidAdmin:
- Download DroidAdmin on your Firestick
- Launch DroidAdmin
- Enter one of the codes from our DroidAdmin codes page
- Download & install great Streaming TV apps (or any other apps in the DroidAdmin code you chose)
Here’s my YouTube video that shows you how to get Firestick unlocked in about 5 minutes:
..and here’s my other video that shows you another way to get your Firestick unlocked:
The next best way to have an easy-to-use unlocked Firestick is just to install Kodi. Kodi is a program that manages another set of add ons you can choose from.
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to Starbucks WiFi. Secure your data.
Within Kodi, you can choose what you want to watch from anime to sports. (Keep in mind that some Kodi add ons violate copyright laws and can land you in trouble if you don’t use a VPN to protect your online privacy.)
How to Install Kodi (The Easy Way)
There are two straightforward methods to install Kodi. One way requires you to have either a smartphone or tablet. It’s the easier of the two. But don’t worry if you don’t have one of those. The second option is almost as simple as the first one.
Installing Kodi Using a Smart Phone
- On your smartphone or tablet, install Fire Installer from the Google Play store (it’s free.)
- Download Kodi from the Google Play store (also free.)
- Start up your Firestick normally.
- Go to Setting -> Developer options, then turn on ADB debugging
- Go to Settings -> About -> Network and then find your IP Address for your Firestick
- Start Fire Installer on your tablet/phone.
- Enter the IP Address of your Fire Stick into Fire Installer
- Select Kodi from the list of installed apps to install on your Firestick.
Installing Kodi on Your Fire TV Stick Without a Smart Phone
Load up your Firestick according to the instructions. Once you have running, you need to download a program called “Downloader.” This app allows you to download apps outside of the regular ones we covered earlier.
- Start up your Firestick
- Go to Settings -> Developer Options, then set both ADB Debugging and Allow Apps from Unknown Sources to “on”
- Open your Firestick Apps -> Tool & Utilities
- Select ES File Explorer File Manager. (Download the app if you haven’t already.)
- Open ES File Explorer File Manager, then go to Favorites -> Add
- Set the path to “www.amazon.com”
- Set the Name to “Amazon”
- Go back to your favorites, then scroll down to Amazon
- Go to the Amazon search bar and type in “downloader app”
- The first app to pop up should be by AMTV.com and free, download it.
- Log in to your Amazon account
- On the right side of the screen, it will show the delivery options, select your Firestick
- Click Home on the remote
- Go to your Settings -> My Account -> Sync Amazon Content
- Click the Home button again
- Under your Recent apps, select Downloader
- Open Downloader and then type “http://kodi.tv/download” in the address bar
- The current stable version is 17.6 “Krypton,” download the link for Android ARM 32-Bit
- Wait for it to download
- A popup box will open prompting you to click “Install”
- Once you install it, Kodi will open prompting you to install a second time, click “Install” again.
- Finally Kodi will now show up under “You Apps & Games”
Kodi v18 “Leia” is available, but the developers are still working out the bugs. Even though it’s still in development over 100,000 people are using it without too many issues. If you choose to install Kodi v18, keep a backup copy of Kodi or be prepared to uninstall and reinstall either v17.6 or v18.
If you have issues with any part of this process, then please feel free to leave a note in the comments. We will help you as quickly as we can. Next, make sure to update Kodi from time to time. Their development team is great about patching out bugs and other odd quirks.
Getting Add Ons for Kodi
The add ons are where Kodi shines. It’s popular for a reason. They are always changing so it can take some tweaking to get yourself the perfect setup.
First of all, here is a list of the best current add ons for Kodi that we regularly update to save you the research time. Each of these popular add ons come with their own set of instructions in the links.
The basic system for installing Kodi add ons for your Firestick is as follows:
1. From “My Apps & Games,” launch Kodi
2. Click the Settings icon on the top left (looks like a gear)
3. Click the File Manager icon
4. Add your source (this step requires a URL directing Kodi to an appropriate add on.)
5. Go back to the home screen after downloading
6. Click “Add-ons” from the left-hand menu
7. Install the add-on from the “Install from zip file” section
8. Once you install the add on, you should be able to find what you want under its appropriate section (i.e., TV, Radio, Videos, etc.) or from the Add-ons menu.
Please keep in mind that neither Kodi nor we take any responsibility for what you watch on the add ons. We do not condone piracy in any way.
That being said, go have fun.
Is it Legal to Unlock Your Fire Stick?
Yes. There is nothing wrong with unlocking your Firestick. It’s a tool you can modify as you choose.
With that out there, it’s especially relevant to mention that like any tool you only get in trouble through how you use it.
If you install the correct add on, then there are uncountable numbers of online streaming services that will stream new movies right to your Firestick. Installing the add on onto your Fire TV stick is not even illegal. Only streaming a movie that the distributor does not have the rights to gets people in trouble. As a result, tens of thousands of people have their Firestick unlocked and are enjoying it worry-free.
But how do you tell? If you are on a streaming site that offers free movies that are still in theaters, you can be pretty sure those violate the copyright.
Sometimes it’s tricky to tell the difference between what is okay and what is not. It is up to the user to do their own research on which add ons can get you in trouble and which can’t. There are tons of perfectly harmless and legal add ons available for an unlocked Firestick.