This tutorial shows you how to Downgrade Kodi Fire TV (downgrade Kodi 17 to 16 Firestick, Kodi 15.0, or to another version of Kodi 17, such as Kodi 17.0, 17.1, or 17.2).
How? There’s an amazing app available for Fire TV and Firestick called Aptoide TV. It does a few awesome things to supercharge our Fire stick or Fire TV, such as:
- Aptoide TV gives you a new App Store for your Firestick that lets you install Kodi, Mobdro Online TV, Terrarium TV, and others from a huge selection of apps. The Aptoide TV app store makes it easy to install new streaming apps, and it gives you a very simple way to install them. Aptoide is basically its own Firestick app store, without the vast limitations on the stock Fire TV appstore given to us by Amazon (and understandably so – some of the third party apps available for Fire TV can cause problems!).
- Update all your third party apps from Aptoide TV, including Kodi! For example, my Fire TV stick has Kodi 17.1 currently installed. But after I launched Aptoide TV for Firestick, I went down to the “My Apps” menu item in Aptoide TV and saw “Updates (1)”. Then, to my pleasant suprise, I went in to the “Updates (1)” sub-menu item and saw Kodi!
How to Downgrade Kodi Fire TV:
Part A: Install Aptoide TV on Firestick or Fire TV
** Note: At the time of writing this article, Kodi 17.3 Krypton appears to not be available as a version of Kodi to install with Aptoide TV. So if you’re okay with downgrading to Kodi 17.2 or older, then this guide will work great for you. Otherwise, if you need Kodi 17.3, simply just use our Kodi 17.3 Install guide.
Firestick Security warning: Your location is: (Ashburn, VA). Your trackable IP address is (184.108.40.206).
- Install Aptoide TV using my How to Install Aptoide TV on Firestick / Fire TV guide
After you install Aptoide TV on Firestick / Fire TV, proceed to Part B below to downgrade Kodi Fire TV / Firestick.
Part B: Launch Aptoide TV & Use it to Downgrade Kodi Fire TV
- After launching Aptoide TV, go down to “My Apps” in the main Aptoide menu
- Then select “Updates (X)”, where “X” should be at least “1” if you know your Kodi is out of date. If Kodi is up-to-date, you will just see “Updates” with no parentheses / number.
- Now you will see third party apps that need to be updated (like Kodi).
- If Kodi appears on your screen, select the Kodi app icon with the center button on the Firestick remote.
- Then select the “UPDATE” or “Versions” button on your screen using the center button on the Fire TV remote
- Select the Kodi version you would like to install
- Wait for Kodi to download (takes about 2 minutes for most Internet connections)
- After the download is complete, Aptoide TV automatically launches the Kodi update.
- Press “Install” to begin installing the Kodi update.
- Wait for the Kodi update to apply. When it’s done, it says “Kodi app installed”.
- Then press “Done” to go back or press “Open” to launch Kodi now.
- After Kodi is launched, we recommend you clear everything out (using the steps directly below). Then install a Kodi Build to maximize your Fire TV’s potential
How to Reset Firestick / Fire TV (aka “Clear Everything Out”)
- From the Fire TV home screen, go to Settings.
- Then go to Device
- Now go to Manage Installed Applications
- Find Kodi and select Kodi using the Center button on the Fire Stick / FireTV remote
- Then select “Clear Data” (twice)
- Now press “Clear Cache” (twice)
- Launch Kodi by selecting “Launch application”
- Wait for Kodi to attempt to launch.
- Now install a Kodi build or install TVAddons
- Take 2 minutes to set up the new Firestick VPN app to protect your Firestick’s transferred data
Important Note if Kodi doesn’t launch after you clear cache & Kodi data: Many times, the first attempt to launch Kodi after you clear Kodi data will fail to launch Kodi. But this is known! Relax, repeat the “clear Kodi data” and “clear Kodi cache” steps again, then re-launch Kodi (launch Kodi a second time) and it should boot up fine.
How to Install a Kodi Build on Firestick / Fire TV
- Use our Kodi Builds guide to install the best Kodi builds for Firestick & Fire TV
If you don’t feel like doing the Downgrade Kodi Fire TV process, there are at least three great Kodi alternatives to check out:
What’s on Kodi?
Wondering what movies & TV shows are on Kodi? Check out ClawTV.
The Kodi version screenshots below should help you identify which version of Kodi you should install:
Kodi 17 Krypton
Kodi 16 Jarvis
Kodi 15 Isengard