Kodi is one of the best all-in-one media entertainment apps. From live TV shows to games, radios, and movies, you can stream anything using the app. But people who have been using the app for a long time often face problems like buffering, crashes, slow start-up, etc.
While you may have a blazing fast internet connection, the majority of problems you face with Kodi are related to cache. By clearing the Kodi cache, you can expect the app to be as speedy and efficient as you have just reinstalled it.
In this piece, we are going to show how to clear your cache on Kodi using multiple ways. But before that, we are going to take a brief trip to learn all about cache in Kodi. So without further ado, let’s get CACHING.
Kodi Cache 101
Clearing cache on Kodi is essential. By cleaning the app from the cache, you are saving it from obstructions. But before you clear it, you must learn about what it’s, how it’s created, its type uses, and lastly, why you should bother clearing it.
WARNING FIRESTICK USERS
YOUR INFORMATION IS EXPOSED
Your location is: Ashburn VA
Your current IP address is: 2001:4455:2f7:b700:f880:7bad:b46b:1768
You can stream and download anonymously through your PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone through IP Vanish.
So, here’s everything you need to know about cache in Kodi:
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
What’s Kodi Cache?
Cache in Kodi refers to the temporary files that are stored in your device’s ram or storage drive. These files are generated when you browse, stream or play content on Kodi to accommodate your experience.
Every component on your device has its own cache memory. For instance, processors have their specific cache memory to save processes temporarily. So, when you open Kodi to play any content, cache files are generated temporarily, and they are saved in your ram and sometimes in your hard drive.
Most of the time, cache files are deleted automatically by the system. But sometimes, you need to manually delete the files as they can burden your device’s memory.
How’s Cache Created In Kodi?
For instance, you are opening a third-party addon frequently. So besides loading the addon from scratch every time you open it, Kodi temporarily stores it into your RAM to make the process faster and more efficient. And that’s how a cache is created.
Caches are created in Kodi to make processes speedy. Some section is allocated in RAM to the processes you frequently activate in Kodi, so you don’t have to face delays. For example, when you play a video, and it’s loading, some buffers are temporarily being stored in your device’s memory so that the video doesn’t pause after every second.
Types Of Cache In Kodi
Cache in Kodi is usually distributed into the following four types:
Temp/Temporary files include folders of outdated repositories, addons, and zip files. As Kodi automatically updates everything (besides Kodi 19), there’s no use for these files. They aren’t being used by the app, and there’s no harm in deleting them.
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to public WiFi. Secure your data.
When you stream a specific video, its buffers are stored temporarily in your memory. If you wish, you can play it again, and the video will start playing immediately. But normally, one doesn’t play a specific video again and again. For instance, you won’t play a live stream repeatedly.
Addons also generate cache in order to run smoothly. But you must clear their cache once in a while to make your ram avoid piling up unnecessary data.
Last and certainly not least, images of addons, things you search online, icon packs, etc., are cached in your device’s memory. Although image cache helps to load services quickly, you can delete the cache of Kodi addons, apps, etc., that you don’t use anymore.
Uses Of Cache
Cache eliminates the process of the memory asking for data from the storage device again and again. Instead, ram loads the required data once from storage and then creates temporary files (we know as cache) to run processes.
Then, whenever you trigger an action, Kodi uses the respective cache to complete your request. This speeds up your overall experience and prevents deterioration of ram and other components of your device in the long run.
For instance, you are watching a show, and you decided to close it due to some reason. Then, when you resume the show, the video cache stored in your device’s memory will play the show without making you wait for long.
Why Should You Clear Cache?
There’s no doubt the cache hugely benefits the Kodi app. But it comes with a price. The cache can crash and pile up, making itself completely useless and nothing more than a piece of junk.
Even if the cache doesn’t crash, it can start getting sluggish over time. And that’s why it’s required to clear it frequently.
Clearing cache can make your Kodi app faster, responsive, and bug-free. As a matter of fact, it can also resolve many technical issues you are facing with your addons and apps.
Now you know all about cache, we are going to learn how to clear your cache on Kodi. So, here’s how it breaks down.
How To Clear Your Cache On Kodi Manually On Some Devices
Firstly, we’ll explore how to clear your cache on Kodi manually on some devices.
Clear Cache On Amazon Fire TV
A significant number of people use Kodi on their Amazon FireTV. And there’s no best cache cleaner for firestick or other Amazon FireTV devices than the one that’s found in its settings. So here’s how to clear the cache on Kodi Fire Stick:
- Launch Amazon FireTV.
- Select the Settings Gear icon located on the middle right side of your screen.
- Hover down and select Applications.
- On the next screen, click Manage Installed Applications.
- Scroll down and locate Kodi.
- Then, select Clear cache.
That’s about it! You have cleared Kodi’s cache on your Amazon Fire TV device.
Kodi Clear Cache On Nvidia Shield, Mi Box, & Android TV
Kodi users aren’t just limited to Amazon Fire TV; you’ll find many people who use the app on Nvidia Shield, Mi Box, Android TV, and other Android-based set-top boxes. Here’s how to clear your cache on Kodi on the above-listed devices:
- Launch your device and let it boot properly.
- After that, go to its Settings page. Note that the location of settings can vary from device to device.
- Then, find the Apps section or any folder that’s related to storage.
- There, find the Kodi application and select it.
- After that, you’ll come across a bunch of options. Scroll down and select Clear cache.
- Confirm the action by selecting Yes on the following window.
Note: The step-by-step instructions above are general. As options can vary from device to device, we weren’t able to provide a one-guide-fit-to-all. Just use the general steps above to clear the cache on your device.
Clear Kodi Cache on Windows-Based PC
Are you using Kodi on Windows? Well, you can easily clear its cache. Here’s how to do it:
- First, make sure the Kodi app isn’t running on your PC.
- Then, press the Win+R combination on your keyboard.
- Run window will appear on the bottom left side of your screen.
- Enter temp and click on Open/Run.
- Then, select all the folders and delete them.
- Once again, open the run window by pressing Win+R on your keyboard.
- Then, enter %temp% and click on Open/Run.
- Again, select all the folders and delete them.
Note: Following the step-by-step instructions above will delete all the temporary files on your system.
Following were some methods for clearing the Kodi cache on some devices. But on some systems, you can’t manually clear Kodi cache as it’s too complicated for an individual. So the following section will cover four ways how to clear your cache on Kodi using third-party program addons.
How To Clear Your Cache On Kodi Cache Using Third-Party Program Addons
Don’t want to clear the Kodi cache manually? Well, there are four trusted third-party Kodi addons you can use to remove the app’s cache regardless of your device type. We’ll walk you through the downloading, installing, and usage process of each listed addon. But first, you need to…
Enable Unknown Sources
By default, Kodi doesn’t allow you to add third-party repos and addons, as some of them can tamper with your data. However, you don’t need to worry about the addons we are going to load for clearing the cache.
So, here’s how you can enable unknown sources on your Kodi app:
- First, launch the Kodi app and let it boot properly.
- After that, click on the Settings Gear icon located on the top left side of your screen just below the Kodi logo.
- Then, click on the System option located on the bottom right side of your screen.
- After that, scroll down to the Add-ons tab on the left panel.
- On the right panel, scroll down and toggle Unknown sources.
- You’ll receive a warning sign, select Yes to continue.
Congratulations! You have now enabled unknown sources on Kodi. But before you move on to downloading, installing, and using the addons, we need to make one thing clear. We have used Kodi 18 Leia to create the step-by-step instructions. So if you are using any other version of Kodi, you might or might not come across some of the steps we have listed.
Method #1 – Using Indigo Addon To Clear Kodi Cache
Available on the Fusion TVAddons Repository, the Indigo addon lets you clear the Kodi cache in a few seconds. Although Kodi users are moving to other famous cache clearing wizards, Indigo is one of the oldest program addons for removing the cache. Here’s how you can download, install and use it:
- Firstly, click on the Settings Gear icon located on the top left side of your screen.
- Then, click on the File Manager option and select Add source.
- After that, click <None>, enter the http://fusion.tvaddons.co in the input box, and click OK.
- Then, click the input box below Enter a name for this media source. Set a name for the repo and click OK.
- Go back to the Settings page and select Add-ons.
- Select Install from zip file.
- Then, select the name you have set for the repo. Select begin-here sub-folder and choose plugin.program.indigo-5.0.00.zip.
- After a few seconds, you’ll receive a notification that the Indigo addon has been installed.
- Go back to the Kodi home screen, scroll down, and select the Add-ons tab. Open it, choose Program add-ons from the left panel, and click on Indigo.
- Wait for Indigo to load and initialize. Once it’s done, select Maintenance Tools. Then select Clear Cache.
- A confirmation window will appear; click Clear to continue.
Method #2 – Clear Cache Using Ares Wizard Kodi Addon
Another way to clear the Kodi cache is by using the renowned Ares Wizard Kodi addon. Keep up with us to see how:
- On the Kodi home screen, select the Settings Gear icon located on the top left side of your screen.
- Select File Manager, scroll down, and select Add source.
- Select <None>, then enter http://areswizard.co.uk in the window that has appeared and click OK.
- Choose the input box below Enter a name for this media source. Next, enter a custom name for the repo and click OK.
- Go back and select Add-ons.
- Choose Install from zip file, select the name you have set for the repo and click script.areswizard-0.0.69.zip.
- After a few seconds, a notification on the top right side of your screen will notify you that the Ares Wizard has been installed.
- Return back to Kodi’s home, scroll down to the Add-ons tab and select it. Next, choose Program add-ons from the left panel and choose Ares Wizard.
- Wait for the Ares Wizard to load. After that, select the Maintenance tab on the top side of your screen.
- Then, wait for a few seconds and click Delete Cache/Temp. Click OK to continue.
Method #3 – Using EzzerMac Wizard Addon To Clear Kodi Cache
Today, EzzarMac is one of the most reputable wizards available on Kodi. Follow the steps below to download, install and use it the right way:
- Select Settings Gear icon on Kodi’s home screen.
- Choose File Manager, scroll down and select Add source.
- Click <None>, enter http://ezzer-mac.com/repo in the input box, and click OK.
- Select the input box below Enter a name for this media source, enter a name and select OK.
- Go back to the Settings page and click Add-ons.
- Select Install from zip file, select the name of repo you have set, and select repository.EzzerMacsWizard.zip.
- Once the repo is loaded, select Install from repository.
- Select EzzerMacs Wizard Repository. Choose Program add-ons, scroll down and click EzzerMac Wizard.
- Click Install on the EzzerMac Wizard dashboard. After a few seconds, the addon will get installed on your Kodi app.
- Return to Kodi home, go to the Add-ons tab, select Program add-ons, and choose EzzerMac Wizard.
- Wait for a few seconds to let EzzerMac Wizard load. Then, select the Maintenance tab on the top side and wait.
- Then, click the Delete Cache button located on the bottom left side of your screen. Select Clear Cache to continue.
Method #4 – Clear Cache With Merlin Wizard Addon (For Kodi 14, 15, 16, & 17 Versions)
Are you using an old version of Kodi and confused about how to clear your cache on Kodi? Then download, install and use the Merlin Wizard to clear the cache on your app by following the steps below:
- Click Settings Gear icon on Kodi home.
- Select File Manager and then click on Add source.
- Choose <None>, enter http://srp.nu/, and click OK.
- Select the input box below Enter a name for this media source, set a name, and select OK.
- Return to the Settings page and click Add-ons.
- Click Install from zip file, select the name of repo you have defined, pick the folder with the name of your Kodi version, select all and click superrepo.kodi.[kodiname].all-0.7.04.zip.
- Wait for a few seconds to let the repo load, then click Install from repository.
- Select SuperRepo All, click Program add-ons and finally choose Merlin Wizard.
- Click on the Install button and wait for a few seconds to let the addon load on your app.
- Head towards the Kodi home screen, select the Add-ons tab and launch Merlin Wizard.
- Once the addon is launched, select Tool Box. Then, click on the Clear Cache button located on the bottom right side of your screen.
Bonus: Three Common Kodi Problems and Their Solutions
- Kodi Startup Crashes
It’s true that Kodi can sometimes do some funny business and worry you. A rare example of this is startup crashes. This is when the app crashes when you try to launch it. However, don’t get too concerned because you can fix it.
Solution: Update Kodi
Kodi might sometimes fail to open if you’ve recently purchased a new Windows PC or loaded a fresh version of Windows.
Thus, the software collapses on launch, but it does not display any error notice. So, here’s a simple solution to this issue.
Installing the most recent Visual C++ redistributable usually solves the problem. Furthermore, it’s worth noting that throughout the installation process, Kodi must scan for any lost files on your system. However, this doesn’t always happen.
Therefore, you can head over to the Microsoft website and get the most recent version from there.
Below is the step-wise process of achieving this feat
- Kodi’s official website has a download section
- Under the ‘Choose Your Weapon’ icon, pick your operating system
- Download Kodi’s installation file from the ‘Recommended’ page
- If you are unable to resolve the issue, you may try downloading a beta Kodi edition from the ‘Pre Release’ option.
- Restart your device and reinstall Kodi.
Maintain in mind that if you wish to save your media collection, you shouldn’t delete the previous Kodi installation. Merely reinstall Kodi, and any relevant files will patch immediately.
- Frequent Kodi Freezes and Pauses
If your Kodi issues have become more frequent recently, it is time to try this process.
Solution: Inhibit Hardware Acceleration
This issue is more prevalent on Android devices, such as a variety of TV set-top boxes. Thus, we recommend disabling hardware acceleration, including a variety of TV set-top boxes.
Now, make sure you follow the procedures below.
- On your device, open Kodi
- Next, choose the cogwheel-shaped symbol to get to Settings (top-left corner)
- On the left part of the screen, select the ‘Player’ button. This option is called ‘Player Settings’ if you have an earlier Kodi version.
- Now, tap the gear icon in the bottom-left corner until ‘Expert’ appears. You’ll notice an option that reads ‘Allow Hardware Acceleration’ on the right-hand side.
- By pressing the ON/OFF button on the right, you may deactivate hardware acceleration.
- You’ll need to reboot Kodi to have this modification take effect.
- “Unable to Create Application” Notification
In rare circumstances, switching Kodi to the most recent version available might cause problems when it stops operating.
Solution: Alter Settings
Thus, if you’re having trouble with the ‘Unable to Create Application’ problem on a Windows PC, here’s what you should do.
- On your computer, go to My Computer.
- Next, make sure you can view hidden files now. On Windows 10, this is done by going to the ‘View’ pane and then tapping ‘Hidden Items.’
- Go to C: > Users > Your Username > App Data > Roaming to complete the process.
- Go to Kodi > Userdata after that.
- A file called profiles.xml may be found here. Delete the document.
- Restart your computer and open Kodi. The program should start successfully after creating a new ‘profiles.xml’ file.
Kodi is hands down one of the best entertainment hub apps available. It’s not just versatile but features tons of addons that make your content streaming experience out of this world. But as you frequently push Kodi to its limits, the cache can build up and play its part in triggering various performance and technical issues.
However, if you’ll clear your Kodi cache regularly, you won’t experience any problems. Use the methods we have provided to remove cache from Kodi frequently. Thus, now you know how to clear your cache on Kodi.
And lastly, if you have any questions about the topic, feel free to add them in our comments section below.