Amazon Firestick is one of the most popular streaming media players which give you access to Netflix, YouTube, and tons of excellent content. However, it also comes with tons of Ads, which can be pretty annoying. In this comprehensive guide, we will share How to Block Ads on Firestick. Let’s get started.
Types of Ads
Before we get to the different ways to block Ads, let us quickly explain the different types of Ads. Following are the different types of Ads
Built-in Ads are the ones which are hardcoded into the video, and these types of Ads can’t be blocked. These Ads usually come after a specified interval, and these are less annoying than other types of Ads.
Video Ads are the ones which you usually see on the YouTube videos; you can generally skip the Ad by pressing the “Skip” button on the video. These types of Ads can be blocked, and these Ads can be pretty annoying if the owner of the channel puts tons of ads in the video.
Banners Ads are the ones which you see when you scroll any website or your menu. These Ads are usually on the side, so these Ads are not very annoying, but you can still block them.
Overlay Ads are the 480 x 70 images Ads which usually appear on the bottom of the YouTube video player. These Ads appears when you play the videos. You can also block the Overlay Ads.
Block Ads on Firestick
Now you know different types of Ads and Ads which you can block. Let’s get to the various methods & Apps which you can use to Block Ads on Firestick.
Blocking Ads using the Ad Blocking DNS Server
Using Ad Blocking DNS Server is one of the best ways to prevent Ads. The benefits of using this method are that you get improved security, privacy, and blocking the annoying Ads. There are some perfect Ad Blocking DNS servers such as AdGuard and Alternative DNS. You can use any of these services, but we are using the Alternative DNS here. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Settings
- Find “My Fire TV” and open it.
- In this section, go to about section and tap “Network.” We will use it later.
- Now go to settings again, go to Network section, and select your Wifi. Tap the “Forget this network.” Use this step if your Firestick is connected to your Wifi.
- Now go to connections and tap the Advanced.
- Enter the IP Address, Gateway, and Subnet Mask from the picture you took in the first step.
- Now Enter the Primary (DNS1) and Secondary (DNS2) settings and tap “next.”
In this way, you can easily set up the Ad Blocking DNS on your Firestick and get rid of the Ads.
How to Block Ads on Firestick using Blokada
Blokada is an open-source ad-blocking app. As it is an open-source app, it means it will be free, and you can use it to block the Ads on Firestick. The whole process is straightforward, and you can do it quickly. Here’s how you can do it.
- Go to the Settings
- In the Settings, go to Device and click the “Developer Options.”
- In this section, find the “App from Unknown Sources” and enable it. Enabling it will allow your Device to install the Blokada app from its website,
- Now go to the menu and open the ‘Downloader” app.
- In the app, type “Blokada.org” and click go.
- Now you will see the official Blokada website, go to the download section and click download to download the app.
- After downloading, click install and give the permissions to the app.
- Now open the app, and here you will see a variety of options ranging from starting the app on boot, keep the app alive, whitelist, and other useful features. If you want, you can also block the notifications.
That’s how you can install the Blokada app and use it to block the annoying Ads.
How to Block YouTube Ads using the Smart YouTube TV
YouTube Ads is another very popular open source app which is designed to block the YouTube Ads on your Device. The whole process of installing Smart YouTube TV is pretty similar to the Blokada. Here’s how to install it on your device.
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
- Go to the “Settings” and click the “Device” section.
- Here click the “Developer options” and enable the “App from Unknown Sources.”
- Now open the “Downloader” app and type “Smartyoutubetv.github.io” and click “Go.”
- You will land on the official page of Smart YouTube TV on Github. Here go to the download section and click the “Stable Release.” You can also use the Test Releases, but these versions will be unstable, and these versions are used for beta testing.
- Now tap on the downloaded apk file and click “install.”
- Give the required permissions to the app, and you are all set to use the app on your device.
There are also some other apps which you can use for blocking Ads. Apps like Stopped (Stopad.io/tv) is excellent and very useful too.
Advertisements are used by the developers to make some money, but too many advertisements can also ruin the users’ experience. You can use one of the methods mentioned above to block the Ads on your Amazon Firestick and have a pleasant experience. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comment section below. Also, visit our website for more useful guides.