How to Download & Setup Ad blocker for Firestick / Fire TV
Amazon Firestick is one of the most popular streaming media players which gives you access to Netflix, YouTube, and tons of excellent content. However, it also comes with tons of Ads, which can be pretty annoying.
Amazon Firestick gives you access to Netflix, YouTube, and tons of excellent content. You can download any app on it and access unlimited entertainment whenever you want.
However, unlimited entertainment also comes with tons of Ads. While ads generate revenue for a service and help it keep afloat, they can sometimes be pretty annoying for the end-user. Especially when you’re in the middle of an exciting part, and all of a sudden, the scene cuts to a toothy family dancing and singing praises of a mouthwash.
The good news is, you don’t have to sit through the inconvenience of advertisements. With just a few simple tricks, these ads can be blocked forever. Poof, Gone! Just like that. In this comprehensive guide, we will share How to Block Ads on Firestick. But first, let’s take a look at different types of ads.
WARNING FIRESTICK USERS
YOUR INFORMATION IS EXPOSED
Your location is: Ashburn VA
Your current IP address is: 2001:4455:2f7:b700:f880:7bad:b46b:1768
You can stream and download anonymously through your PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone through IP Vanish.
Types of Ads
Before we get to the different ways to block Ads, let us quickly explain the different types of Ads. Following are the different types of Ads
Google trackers are lurking on 75% of websites. Cover your tracks to protect yourself.
Built-in Ads are the ones that are hardcoded into the video, and these types of Ads can’t be blocked. These Ads usually come after a specified interval, and these are less annoying than other types of Ads.
Video Ads are the ones which you usually see on YouTube videos; you can generally skip the Ad by pressing the “Skip” button on the video. These types of Ads can be blocked, and these Ads can be pretty annoying if the owner of the channel puts tons of ads in the video.
Banners Ads are the ones that you see when you scroll through any website or your menu. These Ads are usually on the side, so these Ads are not very annoying, but you can still block them.
Overlay Ads are the 480 x 70 images Ads that usually appear on the bottom of the YouTube video player. These Ads appear when you play the videos. You can also block the Overlay Ads.
Block Ads on Firestick
Now you know different types of Ads and Ads that you can block. Let’s get to the various methods & Apps which you can use to Block Ads on Firestick.
This simple method doesn’t need you to install any additional apps. You just have to change your DNS settings to any other server that blocks ads on FirestickFirestick. Here, we will be using AdGuard DNS, but you can use any other service if you want. Let’s take a look at how you can block ads on FirestickFirestick by changing the DNS.
- So, first of all, go to Settings on your FireStick and navigate to the My Fire TV section.
- Now, look for the About option. Click on it and then scroll the page down to the Network option.
- Open the Network section and take its picture. You will need the information displayed here in the final steps.
- Afterward, head back to the main Settings page and open your device’s Network Settings.
- Here, Disconnect from your current network by hitting “forget.”
- Next, click on your Wi-Fi network’s name and enter your password. Don’t click on “Connect” just yet. Instead, hit the Advanced button and enter your IP address. Use the picture you took earlier to find out this information.
- In the same way, enter the details for the Prefix (use 24 if it’s not mentioned) and Gateway sections.
- In the next section of DNS settings, enter the following details:
- Primary DNS: 188.8.131.52
- Secondary DNS: 184.108.40.206
See how easy Amazon Firestick DNS change was? Enjoy an ad-free experience!
Notice: Hackers create fake WiFi hotspots to steal your passwords when you log in to public WiFi. Secure your data.
Using VPN to Change DNS
Sometimes the Internet Service Providers don’t allow you to manually change the DNS of the device and block these ads. You can solve this problem with a VPN service to change the DNS settings instead. A VPN changes your device’s IP address. However, what most people don’t know is that a VPN also changes your DNS settings. This way, your ISP can be tricked into believing that you are still using the old settings. And the best thing is, you don’t even have to wade through all the settings to do the work. Your VPN service takes care of everything. Here’s how you can do just that:
Subscribe to a VPN service such as ExpresssVPN and get the login credentials
Download the ExpresssVPN app from the official Amazon AppStore
Enter the login details into the downloaded app and start the service.
That’s it. Your DNS has been changed. Enjoy streaming without any ads.
Blocking Ads using the Ad Blocking DNS Server
Using Ad Blocking DNS Server is one of the best ways to prevent Ads. The benefits of using this method are that you get improved security, privacy, and blocking the annoying Ads. There are some perfect Ad Blocking DNS servers such as AdGuard and Alternative DNS. You can use any of these services, but we are using the Alternative DNS here. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Settings
- Find “My Fire TV” and open it.
- In this section, go to the about section and tap “Network.” We will use it later.
- Now go to settings again, go to the Network section, and select your Wifi. Tap the “Forget this network.” Use this step if your Firestick is connected to your Wifi.
- Now go to connections and tap the Advanced.
- Enter the IP Address, Gateway, and Subnet Mask from the picture you took in the first step.
- Now Enter the Primary (DNS1) and Secondary (DNS2) settings and tap “next.”
In this way, you can easily set up the Ad Blocking DNS on your Firestick and get rid of the Ads.
How to Block Ads on Firestick using Blokada
Blokada is an open-source ad-blocking app. As it is an open-source app, it means it will be free, and you can use it to block the Ads on Firestick. The whole process is straightforward, and you can do it quickly. Here’s how you can do it.
- Go to the Settings
- In the Settings, go to Device and click the “Developer Options.”
- In this section, find the “App from Unknown Sources” and enable it. Enabling it will allow your Device to install the Blokada app from its website,
- Now go to the menu and open the ‘Downloader” app.
- In the app, type “Blokada.org” and click go.
- Now you will see the official Blokada website, go to the download section and click download to download the app.
- After downloading, click install and give the permissions to the app.
- Now open the app, and here you will see a variety of options ranging from starting the app on boot, keep the app alive, whitelist, and other useful features. If you want, you can also block the notifications.
That’s how you can install the Blokada app and use it to block the annoying Ads.
How to Block YouTube Ads using the Smart YouTube TV
YouTube Ads is another very popular open-source app that is designed to block YouTube Ads on your Device. The whole process of installing Smart YouTube TV is pretty similar to the Blokada. Here’s how to install it on your device.
- Go to the “Settings” and click the “Device” section.
- Here click the “Developer options” and enable the “App from Unknown Sources.”
- Now open the “Downloader” app and type “Smartyoutubetv.github.io” and click “Go.”
- You will land on the official page of Smart YouTube TV on Github. Here go to the download section and click the “Stable Release.” You can also use the Test Releases, but these versions will be unstable, and these versions are used for beta testing.
- Now tap on the downloaded apk file and click “install.”
- Give the required permissions to the app, and you are all set to use the app on your device.
There are also some other apps that you can use for blocking Ads. Apps like Stopped (Stopad.io/tv) are excellent and very useful too.
How to Turn Off Interest-Based Ads on the Amazon Fire Stick
Firestick shows you ads in several places based on your interests. It gleans your interests from the content you have already watched. While these ads can sometimes be helpful, not everyone likes to see them all over the user interface. So, if you are one of them, you can opt for an ad-free experience.
Below is how you can do it in less than a minute.
- Open the Settings menu on your device homepage.
- Go to Preferences
- Then choose the Privacy Settings.
- Look for an option that says, “Interest-based Ads.”
- Turn it Off
And… that’s all. Firestick will stop showing you interest-based ads.
How to Disable Target Advertisements on the Amazon Fire Stick
Target advertisements on FirestickFirestick can also be blocked by installing a third-party adblocker. Follow the step by step process below to do this:
To make this process easy to follow, we have broken it down into 3 parts.
Part 1 – Allow Third-Party Apps
By default, FirestickFirestick doesn’t allow third-party apps. So, you have to make some changes in the settings.
Step 1: Go to the settings on your Firestick homepage.
Step 2: Go to Device to open your device settings.
Step 3: Open “Developer Options”
Step 4: Turn ON “Apps from Unknown Sources”
Part 2 – Get Downloader
Next, we have to get a downloader app to help us download the third party app. For FirestickFirestick, the best downloader app is Downloader. It’s available on the official app store.
Step 5: Go back to the Homepage, hover over the Search option, and type Downloader.
Step 6: Get Downloader and install it on your FireStick.
Part 3 – Install Stopad
Stopad is a third-party app that blocks all the target advertisements on your FireStick. Follow the steps below to get it.
Step 7: Open the Downloader app. On the right-hand side of the display, you can see the “search bar”. With the help of the on-screen keyboard, type https://www.apkshub.com/down/com.stopad.stopadandroid_1.0.419_mod
Step 8: Click Download to start the downloading process
Step 9: Install the file and open the app after download.
Step 10: If the app asks for permission, Allow it to enable Stopad.
Step 11: Finally, click OK to block ads on FireStick forever
Advertisements are used by the developers to make some money, but too many advertisements can also ruin the users’ experience. You can use one of the methods mentioned above to block the Ads on your Amazon Firestick and have a pleasant experience. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comment section below. Also, visit our website for more useful guides.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Download & Setup Ad blocker for Firestick / Fire TV
- 1.1 Types of Ads
- 1.2 Block Ads on Firestick
- 1.3 How to Block Ads on Firestick using Blokada
- 1.4 How to Block YouTube Ads using the Smart YouTube TV
- 1.5 How to Turn Off Interest-Based Ads on the Amazon Fire Stick
- 1.6 How to Disable Target Advertisements on the Amazon Fire Stick
- 1.7 Bottom Line